Grace Delgado’s Summer Research Summary

Grace Delgado’s Summer Research Summary

My summer started in the Andes of Peru, where I completed my second round of glacial geology research. Unlike last summer, when our sites were spread out forcing us to travel by foot around the Sarcsorayac complex, and the outskirts of the Sacred Valley (where the famous Inca Trail leads to the Macchu Picchu ruins), this year we got to focus our work on one site, at the Huagaruncho Massif in central Peru, which we informally called the star mountain due to its shape. Our team of six people consisted of two advisors, two Union students, and two graduate students from the University of New Hampshire. In the first week there we focused on sampling for cosmogenic radionuclides, so we hiked to moraines that we approximated to span from pre-LGM up to LIA ages. The remainder of our two-week stay was for sediment coring in the Jaico Lake, which in my opinion was the most challenging part, to get a complete sediment record with overlapping sections, there was a lot of physical work, and also a lot of preparation and troubleshooting. Overall, this research experience taught me what field research entails, about how to plan for the best but also deal with the unexpected problems that may rise.