back to school, back to school…

Jan 8 by

how gorgeous does our campus look with all this snow?!

Hopefully, you’re all Adam Sandler fans and know what movie I’m referencing, but just in case you aren’t, it’s a quote from the “Back to School” song in Billy Madison. Classic movie. It’s a silly song, but it happens to fit perfectly at the moment, because I really am back to school! It was a long (a bit too long, if you ask me) winter break, but it certainly was a necessary one. Now, after those relaxing seven weeks, it’s time to get back to business!

Sure, homework, classes and tests aren’t exactly my ideas of a good time, but if I have to sacrifice the luxury of not doing anything in exchange for being back on campus, I am perfectly happy to give that up. As we’re starting winter term, I’m already completely shocked that I am now halfway through my sophomore year here at Union! Time is already going far too fast.

After a quick and painless move in day on Sunday, classes have started back up with a vengeance – Union College certainly does not adhere to the syllabus week stereotype. This term, I am taking Social Psychology, which I am very excited about. Not only is the teacher fantastic, but the material itself is very interesting. I’m also taking a lecture called Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, which I believe will also prove to be a great class. Finally, I’m taking an acting class which I could not be more thrilled about. Theatre is one of my biggest passions, but I haven’t done much of it at all since coming to Union, so I can’t wait to get back into it!

Maura is a senior from Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, a small town north of Boston on Cape Ann. She is an intern in the College's Communications Office, where she runs a blog and writes articles for the website - look for the Maura Driscoll '15 byline! Maura is also the Collegiate Alumni Relations Chair of the Delta Delta Delta, Beta Psi sorority here on campus. Last fall, she studied abroad in York, England! Now, as a senior, she is also on the Senior Gift Committee, responsible for giving and the planning of senior week. Additionally, she is on the Student Conduct Committee, as well as the Fraternity and Sorority Judiciary Board. She is pursuing a Psychology major and Spanish minor, and hopes to attend law school post-grad. A severe theatre addict, Maura was president of her drama program in high school and has been performing since the age of seven. She is also a fan of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, quoting movies, holidays, Harry Potter, naps, nostalgia, organization and sushi.