The Way We Were

Jan 22 by

When I came to campus freshman year, I heard that the classic The Way We Were was (partially) filmed on Union’s campus in the 1970s. Since then, I’ve been meaning to watch the movie. My grandmother bought me the DVD for Christmas this year, and I finally watched it this weekend!

I was only expecting to see glimpses of Union here and there, appearing as a non-descript college to anyone who didn’t pass through campus daily…. but I was wrong. During almost all of the college scenes, my friend Irina and I kept yelping out in recognition and pausing to compare how different Golub House looked when it was the original Chi Psi Lodge, or how less attractive the Nott was covered in all of that moss, or even how different the classrooms were.

After Barbara Streisand and Robert Redford left Union’s campus, the movie got significantly less exciting… and significantly more depressing. I’m a sucker for a sappy love story, but I couldn’t sympathize with Babs’ character and I only liked Redford’s when he flashed an adorable smile to the camera (That was the only time I could forget he titled his great American novel A Country Made of Ice Cream).  Regardless of the less-than-thrilling love thrilling love story about The Way We Were, I loved seeing the way Union was!

Ceillie '13

Hi! I’m Ceillie! I moved from what I thought was a really small town (Watertown, CT) to an actually really small ‘village’ (Whitehall, NY) right before high school, so I already had two hometowns before Union and Schenectady became my home away from home! I’m now settled into my senior year, writing my thesis on Shakespeare and Sophocles for both of my majors, English and Classics. When I’m not in Schaffer library studying or working at the Writing Center, I love to watch terrible tv shows, read, write, laugh, and explore. I love when people say please and thank you, and I really love when they read about my day to day life at the U on Union Unfiltered!

Latest posts by Ceillie '13 (see all)