be cool

Jan 24 by

Last week I got some negative news about a summer internship I had applied to. In short, the correspondence went something like, “After careful consideration of your application for this recruitment process, you have not been selected for an interview at this point in our recruiting season.” BOO! What’s a motivated girlie to do?! My first thought was to cry (since that’s always a great reaction), but then I took a step back to ask myself if I was truly upset. You know what I quickly realized? I wasn’t! It’s very easy to fall into a trap of thinking, “Well, this is the best firm out there and I have to work there and everyone expects me to work there and if I was actually talented and successful I would have been chosen,” but what kind of mentality is that?! A better thought pattern is, “If it’s meant to be, it will be.” In fact, I love the quote from the 2007 film Music and Lyrics when rising pop megastar Cora Corman says, “If it’s meant to be, it will be. It’s destiny… or not!” Just be cool! The world keeps spinning. If my college search taught me anything, it’s that everything will work out in the end!

(And surprise, surprise: the next day I heard back from another firm saying that I am moving forward with their application process and then just this week I received positive news from yet anther firm! They should change that old saying to: “one step back, two steps forward!”)