Get Over It

Feb 5 by

For my Shakespeare senior seminar, the final project assignment is a paper comparing a 20/201st adaptation of a Shakespeare play with the original text. I just finished figuring out the details of my project: I’m going to compare A Midsummer Night’s Dream with the terrible teen romcom from 2001, Get Over It.

The movie follows the romantic relationships in a high school while the students (who include Kirsten Dunst, Mila Kunis, Shane West,and Sisqo) perform a very ’90s high school rendition of Shakespeare’s comedy, complete with a boyband -style love song about Hermia, a break-dancing Puck, and so many terrible outfit choices that make the blue and purple lenses in ALL of the sunglasses seem completely understandable. Needless to say, I’ll be making a point about how Get Over It, although horrendously lovable, does not exactly maintain the same integrity as Shakespeare’s original A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Ceillie '13

Hi! I’m Ceillie! I moved from what I thought was a really small town (Watertown, CT) to an actually really small ‘village’ (Whitehall, NY) right before high school, so I already had two hometowns before Union and Schenectady became my home away from home! I’m now settled into my senior year, writing my thesis on Shakespeare and Sophocles for both of my majors, English and Classics. When I’m not in Schaffer library studying or working at the Writing Center, I love to watch terrible tv shows, read, write, laugh, and explore. I love when people say please and thank you, and I really love when they read about my day to day life at the U on Union Unfiltered!

Latest posts by Ceillie '13 (see all)