V-Day 2013: A Changed Perspective

Feb 7 by

Once again the dreaded Valentine’s Day approaches (slowly but surely) except one thing is radically different this year as opposed to last. That is to say I no longer really dread Valentine’s Day. Shocking, I know, but this year I find myself in a completely different frame of mind when looking at this…holiday. Why you may ask? Well let’s break it down shall we? Here we go:

Last Year (2012)  vs. This Year (2013)

1. LY: My Valentine was my dear friend Iesha who is very wonderful, but not male.

TY: My Valentine just so happens to be my boyfriend Oliver who is very wonderful and is male.

2. LY: I received a bag of jelly beans and a card with a squirrel on it, which I must admit is actually pretty awesome.

TY: I will receive the ultimate present, a present any girl would die to receive, a present that will make me the happiest human on this very Earth. Wait for it…..A Gollum Stuffed Doll! That’s right folks, my very own gollum doll complete with a ragged loin cloth and five straggly hairs on his head. I am beyond excited.

3. LY: I stalked my ex-boyfriend on Facebook for most of the day. Yes, that’s right, I’m admitting to it. Dark times my friends, dark times.

TY: I will be spending the evening at work, BUT my boyfriend will be working with me which means we will at least get to spend it together. Perhaps we will share a popcorn just like in Lady And The Tramp, gazing into one another’s eyes romantically. Highly doubtful, but I’ll entertain it as a possibility.

4. LY: I refused to even set foot in a store that advertised hearts, boxes of chocolate, or stuffed animals around Valentine’s Day. This made buying groceries and, let’s face it, living a normal life very difficult.

TY: I happily shop around stores and even venture down that avenue exploding with pink and red without hesitation (Well, with minor hesitation. Those stuffed animals really give me the creeps, like they are just waiting to pounce off the shelves at their next victim).

5. LY: I had the love of my family and friends, but felt like I was missing something.

TY: I still have the love of my family and friends, but I now know what it is like to be someone’s first priority, to be protected, to be treated with respect, to be listened to, to be trusted, to be loved unconditionally, to be reminded of this love every day, and to know what it is like to truly be in love with an exceptional human being.

I guess what I have learned is that it is not the day itself that is miserable or wonderful, it is the attitude you have towards it that makes it what it is. When it comes down to it Valentine’s Day isn’t a day made for two people, it is a day made for all of us whether single or coupled up. It is a day to celebrate the love that exists on this planet, a day to banish hatred and violence in order to embrace all that is good within us.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. I hope you have an incredible day whether you spend it solo, with family, with friends, or with the love of your life.

“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.” J. R. R. Tolkien

Adah '14

My name is Adah Lise Keegan and I am currently a Junior at Union College. I am an English major and a French minor who loves to read, write, travel the world, spend time with my friends and family, make people laugh, sing, and enjoy my life to the fullest. I am spontaneous, slightly bizarre, and incredibly happy most of the time. I have had many ups and downs over the course of my past three years at Union College, but I can honestly say that I love this college!

Latest posts by Adah '14 (see all)