weekend at west point

Apr 15 by

from top-to-bottom, left-to-right: three first-year Russian language students at Union College with one of our wonderful professors of Russian at Union, Kristin Bidoshi, our TA, Elena Reznikova, myself, and my dear friend and fellow second-year Russian language student, Sabeha; the view from our hotel for Friday night; me and Sabi taking some glamour shots; the Russian poem that I had to memorize for the competition; our consolation prize -- a book about planets in Russian!

This weekend I, two Union professors of Russian language, our Russian TA, and four of my fellow Russian language students at Union College traveled to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point to compete in this year’s New York State Russian Olympiada. We had three first-year Russian language students competing at the beginners’ level and two students (including yours truly!) competing at the intermediate level. The competition was extra tough this year and while Union students did not take home any of the top prizes, I am still extremely proud of our Russian program and its wonderful students. I have watched our program flourish during the two short years that I have been here and I cannot wait to see where it is headed! On top of all of the awesome Russian events we already throw (see some great examples herehereherehereherehereherehereherehere, and here), we are in the midst of planning Union’s first ever term abroad to Irkutsk, Siberia for next Spring! My involvement with the Russian language program here is one of my most favorite things I do at Union and it’s future is looking очень хорошо (very good!)!!!