wonderful weekend

Jun 5 by

What a weekend this one was. For those of you who have just experienced your first alumni weekend, I hope you had an amazing time like I did, and for those that have yet to experience one…just wait! I have always been adamant that alumni weekend is by far the best weekend on Union’s campus, which is a pretty bold statement considering all of the amazing events our community has to offer. But, with the fireworks, music and BBQs with alumni who are pushing 85-years-old and have still got it in them, where can you go wrong?!

Alumni weekend, however, also happened to fall on an otherwise very busy weekend as well. On Friday, we had the Greek Awards to attend, where Delta Delta Delta picked up numerous honors, including best philanthropy and most improved sorority! Then, on Sunday, we held our annual TRIHOP Pancake Breakfast, where we served pancakes and bacon and donated all the proceeds to St. Jude. We managed to raise almost $400 for the children and their families! But, yesterday, it was also one of my best friend’s birthday, and today it is another best friend’s birthday!

As a result, we all headed to Bomber’s for my friend Emily’s birthday, where she celebrated by getting a free margarita for her 21st! A free margarita on your 21st birthday is one of the fun things about Bomber’s, a local burrito bar and owned by a Union alum, not to mention the delicious food! I had an amazing BBQ pulled pork taco and rasta fries, and they were to die for.

After Bomber’s, my best friends and I headed to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center for the Brad Paisley, Chris Young and Lee Brice concert. Although thunder storms were forecasted, it ended up being an absolutely beautiful night, and it didn’t rain once! I don’t know about you, but country music is my absolute favorite, especially in the summertime. It was a perfect end to the best weekend yet. But this week, despite being the tenth, is already proving to be just as fun, as my friends and I are went to the new Asian fusion restaurant downtown, Zen, for my bestie Katherine’s birthday dinner. Despite incredibly slow service – it was very busy and they were clearly understaffed – I definitely enjoyed my shrimp hibachi with noodles…even if it was after we had to have them heat up our food once it got to us. But, I won’t hold my less than desirable experience at Zen against them, as they’re brand new, and it was obvious our waitress had little to no experience.

Maura is a junior from Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, a small town north of Boston on Cape Ann. She is an intern in the College's Communications Office, where she runs a blog and writes articles for the website - look for the Maura Driscoll '15 byline! Maura is also a member of the Delta Delta Delta Beta Psi sorority here on campus. Additionally, she is on the Student Conduct Committee, as well as the Fraternity and Sorority Judiciary Board. She is pursuing a Psychology major and Spanish minor, and hopes to someday use her education in a career linking psychology and public relations. A severe theatre addict, Maura was president of her drama program in high school and has been performing since the age of seven. She is also a fan of Boston sports teams (particularly the Celtics), Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, quoting movies, holidays, Harry Potter, naps, nostalgia, organization and sushi. This fall, she will be abroad in York, England!

Latest posts by Maura '15 (see all)