I’ve got friends in high places…

Jun 6 by

… Like the Memorial Chapel Bell Tower!!

My friend Amy plays the bells for Union, and she gave my friend Lizzy and I a tour of the tower! I’m absolutely terrified of heights, so the ascent to the bells what a bit of a test for me. After entering a secret doorway into a teeny (and I mean teeny) winding staircase, we reached another level and another doorway. This time, it opened into complete darkness- once the light turned on, it was another staircase with another door ahead… and behind this door was a ladder, and then finally the bell tower!!  Well, you have to climb another level to get to the controls for the bells, and then there’s another ladder up to another level- I opted out of these and stayed on the first level. While the other two ventured above, my knees wobbled and I held on to the railing. I was clearly missing out though- all I heard was Lizzy repeating, “This is amazing!! I can’t wait to tell my mom!!” After I saw the picture, I completely understood!

Ceillie '13

Hi! I’m Ceillie! I moved from what I thought was a really small town (Watertown, CT) to an actually really small ‘village’ (Whitehall, NY) right before high school, so I already had two hometowns before Union and Schenectady became my home away from home! I’m now settled into my senior year, writing my thesis on Shakespeare and Sophocles for both of my majors, English and Classics. When I’m not in Schaffer library studying or working at the Writing Center, I love to watch terrible tv shows, read, write, laugh, and explore. I love when people say please and thank you, and I really love when they read about my day to day life at the U on Union Unfiltered!

Latest posts by Ceillie '13 (see all)