How do I English?

Dec 3 by

I think I may finally be getting used to this whole French language thing.  While I’ve yet to dream in French, I am to the point where I actually forget certain words in English, but know them in French!

This seems strange considering I’ve only been here for 3 months, but it’s true! I’ll be talking to a classmate in English, and have to switch to French to get my point across. While at times it’s a little frustrating, I can’t complain!

The first week I spent in Rennes, France, I thought I would never learn French! It was crazy to me to think that I would ever be able to understand what my host family was saying at dinner, or what my professor assigned for homework. Now, with less than three weeks left in France, I can safely say that I at least understand the general theme of every conversation I hear! So proud!

franglais

The French language is so different from English.  While some English speakers say French is more beautiful, and the French say that English is more simple, I’ve decided that the French just don’t have as many words as we do.  I feel as though I can explain things more in depth in English, but there are still words in French that don’t have a simple translation, forcing us to speak in French (oh boo).

By being around French speakers 80 percent of the time, my mind has grown accustomed to thinking in both languages, and now if someone switches from English to French, it doesn’t take my mind as long to catch up!  It seems crazy to me that only after being here for a short amount of time, I’m already thinking in franglais! While English is my mother tongue, it seems so easy to forget after being immersed in another culture!

Even though I may sound foreign when I return to the States, I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Continue to follow my journey in France on twitter (@jay_bone23) and instagram (@jjjpulls)!!

Jordan '15

Hi! My name is Jordan Pulling, an Environmental Science major and French & Environmental Engineering minor in Union College's class of 2015 hailing from the village of Ballston Spa in upstate New York. I have been in love with Union ever since my Dad (Class of '76) started bringing me to the Schenectady campus at the ripe old age of 10 years old. Between the architecture to the student community, I wouldn't change a thing about this little slice of heaven. When I first came to campus as a student in September of 2011, I immediately hurled myself into everything the great U has to offer. I never miss an opportunity to proudly rave Union while giving tours and advising first-year students during orientation. My major accomplishments at Union (so far!) have been attaining leadership positions in 3 environmentally focused clubs on campus, a council position in my Minerva (woo Messa House!), and being the Women's Varsity coxswain on the crew team! When I'm not shuffling between things during the week, you can find me doodling in my class notes, trying to learn how to play the guitar (or strumming my ukulele), tending to my slightly drooping aloe plant, Reamer-ratting, or taking advantage of the sunlight! Here at Union I wouldn't have my days any other way. Never been more in love with U.....!

Latest posts by Jordan '15 (see all)