ski weekend

Feb 28 by

A gorgeous pic of the mountain (if I do say so myself) taken from the sky tram. There's no filter on this! Incredible!!

A gorgeous pic of the mountain (if I do say so myself) taken from the sky tram. There’s no filter on this! Incredible!!

So last weekend was the infamous ski trip to Jay Peak! After absurd sign-ups and a pretty long week, five o’clock on Friday finally arrived and I and 26 of my fellow Union skiers/snowboarders were on our way to northern Vermont.

The ride up there took forever, but we had an absolute blast goofing off and singing many rounds of “Rattlin Bog” on the bus. When we finally arrived at our destination for the evening — a beloved hostel called “Grampa Grunts” — we spent the next few hours exploring our funky rooms and playing pool down in the finished basement.

In the morning we all woke up for a 7:30am breakfast cooked by the granddaughter of Grampa Grunts himself. Our bellies filled with delicious jam-covered bagels and cheesy omelets, we hopped back on the bus for the quick 15-minute drive to Jay Peak. The conditions weren’t so great on Saturday, but the resort was amazing. As a beginner skier still (this weekend were my seventh and eighth times skiing ever,  I think), I tend to take a lot of breaks so I certainly appreciate a good lodge. With an indoor water park, can a lodge get much better?

After a full day of skiing, we headed back to Grunts for a giant pasta dinner made by our very own Ski Club presidents and an evening of raucous poker games and rollicking laughs. Some students even ventured to the one and only bar in the small town, but I hit the hay in order to function for another say of skiing tomorrow.

Sunday’s conditions were awesome and I spent the whole day snapping pictures in between runs. I even tried a few glade runs which were just wonderful. By the time 4pm rolled around (the typical closing time for most mountains) there were still countless trails that I wanted to try, but never found time for. We zipped back to Grunts to pack up and hit the road as soon as possible. We stopped at a small town Subway and overwhelmed the only worker there with two dozen orders. The bus ride home involved a lot a sleeping, eating, and chatting with new friends.

Overall my weekend was absolutely fantastic and I can’t believe it has already come and gone. The trip only made me that much more upset that this is my final year at Union because I so desperately want another season of ridiculously fun (and cheap!) adventures with some of the best people I know. This was one Union experience that I will always remember.

Between sunny skies, ludicrous lodges, super snow, creative carvings, and fabulous friends, the weekend was practically perfect in every way!