get ready to dip!

Mar 7 by

dd1

This Sunday, March 9th, members of the Union College community will be plunging down a 30-foot slide into icy cold waters in order to show support and raise awareness for three young and cancer-stricken members of our campus community.

dd2

This year’s second annual Dutchmen Dip will be supporting 11-year-old Kristen Shinebarger, Justin Lloyd ’16, and Nate Greenberg ’14.

Kristen Shinebarger is an 11-year-old member of the Union College community has recently undergone treatment for Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer for the second time. On September 11, 2012, Kristen’s leg was amputated in order to battle this disease. Money raised will assist the cost of her prosthetic leg, which must be continually changed as she continues to grow.  Shelly Shinebarger, Kristen’s mother, is the Director of Student Support Services at Union College.

Justin Lloyd ‘16 was diagnosed in February 2013 with Adenocarcionma. He has undergone right colectomy surgery to remove a tumor, and chemotherapy treatment to beat the disease. Justin is a member of the Varsity Baseball team and is planning to become an Economics major. His hometown is Milton, Massachusetts.

Nate Greenberg ’14 was diagnosed in August 2013 with Ewing’s Sarcoma. He has undergone a full hip replacement, and is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatment to beat the disease. Nate is the captain of the Varsity Lacrosse team and an Economics major. His hometown is Westport, Connecticut.

dd3

Last year the Dip was an absolute riot. It was freezing outside, yet our Dutchmen braved the cold to show support for little Kristen. This year should be even more fantastic. It was not an easy year for our college, learning that so many kids near and dear to our hearts were now fighting a life-or-death battle against sicknesses so ruthless, but in typical Union fashion we know how to come together as a community to show that our friends are not fighting alone.

dd4

All of the money raised this year will be split between the three families in order to help cover treatment costs and medical bills.

If YOU want to be a part of this incredible cause, please donate HERE. Please click on the green “Contribute” button on the right to make a donation!!

If you’d like to create your own personal fundraising page for this cause click HERE.

If you want to learn more about the event or join the conversation, please check out the Dutchmen Dip Facebook page or check out the Dutchmen Dip blog!

dd5

that’s my best friend’s chinchilla, Skittles, that Kristen is snuggling with!

Remember, “It’s never too cold to make a difference!”

P.S. And here’s a special surprise! Messages from the very kids we’re helping:

Nate:

Hey guys, I just want to thank everyone for thinking of us and participating in the Dutchmen Dip. I won’t be able to attend but wish I could be out there with everyone. I believe that it’s a test to Union’s comradery that everyone comes together to support each other during tough times. Treatment is going really well and I can’t wait to be back on campus with you all in the fall.

Justin:

I have really enjoyed coming back to campus this winter. After you have had a taste of the college life and then you have to go and live at home for as long as I did, it really puts things in perspective of how lucky you are to attend Union. Overall I am really thankful to the entire Union community for how they stuck by my side throughout the bad times. I am happy to say that I am doing well and am really happy to be back here with all my friends. I am looking forward to the Dutchmen Dip this Sunday. I know Nate must appreciate it as much as I do. It’s little things like these that go a long way for someone like me who had to battle cancer at such a young age.

Kristen:

Hi My name is Kristen Shinebarger and I am 11 years old. I love animals and was very active before I found out I had cancer.  I battled Ewings Sarcoma for the second time. Ewings Sarcoma is a rare form of bone cancer.  I had to have my right leg amputated. For two years I have been on crutches and have not been able to do the things I like. I want a good prosthetic leg so that I can be active and keep up with my friends on the playground. I love taking dance classes (tap and hiphop), playing dodgeball and running around the neighborhood with my brother and friends.