Union at 6am

Apr 10 by

While it’s not the best part of being an athlete, being up at 6am is definitely not the worst. More often than we’d like, the Crew team has to be up before the sun for lifts, practices, and races. Throughout the winter, the team had 6am lifts twice a week, and although everyone struggled to get out of bed, we saw ¬†sunrises that were worth it.

Nott Sunrise

Nott Sunrise

Now, during our main season, we have 630am practices a couple times a week to make up for class conflicts and things like that. The temperature may be as low as our energy, but there’s something special about seeing the Mohawk River as well as Union’s campus before anyone else.

Sunrise on the Mohawk

Sunrise on the Mohawk

I leafed through some Crew girls’ instagram accounts to find some ¬†photos, and they really capture the perfect sunrise. Many of the sports teams at Union have to get up extremely early to fit in practices and lifts before class. I’m sure they’ve all witnessed this type of sunrise, and its absolutely breathtaking.

Nott Sunrise

Nott Sunrise

Even if you’re not an athlete, I encourage you to get up early one morning simply to see an amazing sunrise and an empty campus. While I love seeing all the students roaming around campus during the day, an early morning campus void of all stressful class-related activities is something that must be seen. Besides, no one ever wishes they got more sleep in college ;)

Nott sunrise

Nott sunrise

Jordan '15

Hi! My name is Jordan Pulling, an Environmental Science major and French double major with a minor in Environmental Engineering in Union College's class of 2015 hailing from the village of Old Forge in upstate New York. I have been in love with Union ever since my Dad (Class of '76) started bringing me to the Schenectady campus at the ripe old age of 10 years old. Between the architecture to the student community, I wouldn't change a thing about this little slice of heaven. When I first came to campus as a student in September of 2011, I immediately hurled myself into everything the great U has to offer. I never miss an opportunity to proudly rave Union while giving tours and advising first-year students during orientation. My major accomplishments at Union (so far!) have been attaining leadership positions in 3 environmentally focused clubs on campus, a council position in my Minerva (woo Messa House!), and being the Women's Varsity coxswain on the crew team! When I'm not shuffling between things during the week, you can find me doodling in my class notes, trying to learn how to play the guitar (or strumming my ukulele), tending to my slightly drooping aloe plant, Reamer-ratting, or taking advantage of the sunlight! Here at Union I wouldn't have my days any other way. Never been more in love with U.....!

Latest posts by Jordan '15 (see all)