A day with Buddha

May 30 by

Last Sunday, the Buddhist Students Association had organized its annual trip to a Buddhist monastery. This year we went to Kagyu Thubten Chöling Monastery and Retreat Center in Albany, New York. The center, as I had expected, was a very peaceful place. Buddha’s insistence on simplicity of life, love, and sympathy was visible in the interior design of the center as well as in the character and behavior of the people we met.

IMG_20140525_122809

We did a meditation session followed by an insightful lecture on the teaching of Buddha’s philosophy on the nature of things.

IMG_20140525_122756

It was the first time I practiced Buddhist meditation. It was a wonderful experience. Sitting cross-legged on a small red round mat, with my knees slightly pointing down and touching the ground, I had to keep my spinal cord straight with my neck lightly bent forward; I learned how can one control the flow of energy and maintain it in his body to maximize focus and concentration.

IMG_20140525_123527

It has been awhile, I practice to be more aware and in peace with myself, my feelings and my surrounding. Thanks to the Union’s Buddhist Students Association for organizing this trip, it added to my knowledge and resources to achieve that goal.

IMG_20140525_123245

Here is my favorite quote of Buddha“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”

Jamal '17

My name is Jamaluddin Aram. My friends call me Jamal. They say, "it’s easier." I am from Afghanistan, a country where people cannot live without drinking tea, telling stories and wearing scarves. I am a freshman at Union College with an intended major in English literature. Among the long list of things I like and hobbies I pursue; I have a strong passion in reading and writing fiction, I am a member of Union Film Club, French Table and Community Service program. I like photography, film, soccer and music. Not to mention, I love my scarves and I love drinking green tea.

Latest posts by Jamal '17 (see all)