The 100th Day

Jun 5 by

As you may have seen, I have been taking part in the 100 Happy Days Challenge.  In short, you post a picture on some form of social media of something that makes you happy every day for 100 days. The purpose of the challenge is to learn to appreciate minor pleasures in life, from a good cup of coffee to a beautiful spring day.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.55.23 AM

I have to admit, the challenge has not been easy. Some days, I couldn’t wait to post my picture and had to restrain myself from posting more than one. Other days, I found myself scrambling to find a cute picture at 11:50pm after my day consisted of 4 hours of class plus 4 hours of Netflix. While it has been a challenge, I am so glad I did it, and I am confident to say that I will make it till the end.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.55.50 AM

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.57.20 AM

Today is my 95th day. That’s right, so far I have posted 94 photos on 94 consecutive days and today I will post my 95th and on Tuesday I will post my 100th and I will have accomplished the challenge. The website where I found the challenge claimed that many people found love, became more optimistic, and improved their mood. The website also says that 71% of people who began the challenge could not finish due to a ‘lack of time’. To me, the whole point of the challenge is to take a 5 minute break out of each day to shine some light and a small moment that you experienced that day, and I feel like I did just that.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.56.56 AM

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.56.39 AM

I watched 5 or 6 people I follow on Instagram begin the challenge and, sadly, stop after day 13, day 4, or even day 45. I have not stopped. My photos may not be the most beautiful, or exciting, and I may not have felt that happy on a certain day, but looking back over my past 100-ish days through photos makes me remember each and every day and I couldn’t be happier that I began – and will finish- this challenge.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.56.21 AM

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.56.03 AM

Tuesday, when I post my last picture, will be a stressful day. I have my one and only final on Monday, and I will be frantically packing my entire room to go home on Tuesday. Tuesday morning, I will bring my car for its first ever oil change to the dealership about 45 minutes away, after I will return to Union to pack up my car and drive 2.5 hours to my home in Old Forge, NY (the first time I will be calling our previously ‘second house’ my primary home after my parents moved Potsdam, NY in December). I will spend the next 10 days visiting family and organizing my life before settling back down in Schenectady to start my internship. I have no idea how I will be feeling on that day or what happy moments I might encounter, I guess all there is to do is wait!

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 8.55.38 AM

Feel free to check out my photos on instagram (@jjjpulls)!

Jordan '15

Hi! My name is Jordan Pulling, an Environmental Science major and French double major with a minor in Environmental Engineering in Union College's class of 2015 hailing from the village of Old Forge in upstate New York. I have been in love with Union ever since my Dad (Class of '76) started bringing me to the Schenectady campus at the ripe old age of 10 years old. Between the architecture to the student community, I wouldn't change a thing about this little slice of heaven. When I first came to campus as a student in September of 2011, I immediately hurled myself into everything the great U has to offer. I never miss an opportunity to proudly rave Union while giving tours and advising first-year students during orientation. My major accomplishments at Union (so far!) have been attaining leadership positions in 3 environmentally focused clubs on campus, a council position in my Minerva (woo Messa House!), and being the Women's Varsity coxswain on the crew team! When I'm not shuffling between things during the week, you can find me doodling in my class notes, trying to learn how to play the guitar (or strumming my ukulele), tending to my slightly drooping aloe plant, Reamer-ratting, or taking advantage of the sunlight! Here at Union I wouldn't have my days any other way. Never been more in love with U.....!

Latest posts by Jordan '15 (see all)