Caring for Individuals with IDD

Caring for diverse patient populations presents a lot of new and unique challenges for patients, providers, and family members. This week, I’m going to focus on one patient population in particular: Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).

History of the Best Buddies Keith Haring Logo - Best Buddies ...Throughout college, I have volunteered with and have been a peer mentor for the Best Buddies chapter at Union College. Best Buddies is a non-profit organization that strives to support individuals with IDD by providing them with one-on-one friendships, employment opportunities, development of leadership and communication skills, and self-advocacy skills. Being a part of Best Buddies has been a very rewarding experience, and has also shown me some of the challenges that individuals with IDD face everyday.

Challenges

One of the challenges that individuals with IDD face is communication. Often times, they can have difficulty communicating effectively with others, which can prevent them from being able to express their thoughts and feelings to family members, friends, or even healthcare providers.

Integration into society and employment are also two major challenges (1). Many individuals do not have a post-secondary education and aren’t able to access resources that would allow them to obtain internships or other experiences. Additionally, the stigma that exists surrounding intellectual and developmental disabilities can lead to social isolation and negative perceptions of hiring individuals with IDD.

These challenges and more combine to leave individuals with IDD with increased mental health problems, little to no income, and lower levels of independence (1).

Role of Caregivers & Healthcare for Individuals with IDD

Many individuals with IDD live with their families and rely on them for financial and emotional support, as well as advocacy. However, there is not always enough support for families that are caring for individuals with IDD. Many families are expected to provide lifelong care, but this is not feasible in some situations and extra support is needed (2). In Albany, St. Margaret’s Center provides 24-hour care and support for children with disabilities. This includes pediatric care, group activities, and helping families navigate insurance and other services. This is a very helpful option for families of younger children with disabilities, and it would be great to see similar resources for adults with IDD that face some of the same challenges.

In healthcare settings, the challenges faced by individuals with IDD can lead to poorer health outcomes, even with advocacy by caregivers. Individuals with IDD face higher rates of co-morbidities and chronic conditions, as well as challenges in understanding their own healthcare issues and the services that are available to them. A lot of providers don’t receive enough training and don’t have experience in communicating with and caring for individuals with IDD (3).

Resources

Some additional resources for individuals with IDD, such as this Early Intervention Program in New York, are listed here.

While there are a lot of improvements to be made in supporting individuals with IDD and their caregivers, we can start by understanding the unique challenges this population faces and how these challenges create barriers to integration and care.

26 thoughts on “Caring for Individuals with IDD

1. You can check out websites that offer such a service. If possible, you can also find the contact information of the company from where you can get your own fake credit card generator.

2.  Best Social Plan is the most trusted company for providing social media services. Within some years it has gained popularity as a reliable company to its customers. This company is now managing its activity successfully. It is proved number one company by its quality services.
    Best Social Plan

3. Thank you so much for such a well-written article. It’s full of insightful information. Your point of view is the best among many without fail.For certain, It is one of the best blogs in my opinion.
    Mobile Tyres Reading

4. Exams Help Online is a top-rated online class and exam help provider that is helping students all around the world with their difficult online exams and classes. We understand that students often have too much on their plate, and it becomes hard for them to properly prepare for their exams or participate in classes. With a team of highly qualified experts, you can rest assured that your grades are in good hands.

5. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing mail order pharmacy

6. I must say you’ve done a very good job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome. Superb Blog! 홀덤

7. After study a number of the web sites for your site now, i really such as your strategy for blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon.

스포츠토토링크

8. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don’t forget, keep sharing useful info: find more

9. Thank you for sharing your experience. In fact, it seems to me that our world often does not perceive people who are slightly different from the norm as full-fledged citizens. Although this is fundamentally wrong thinking. These people are also important and we need to understand that the disease is not a death sentence and we will learn to live in a world where everyone will be comfortable, regardless of their disease or diagnosis. You are doing a very big job and I am very grateful to you that you raise such difficult issues so that other people can simply pay attention to this issue and think.
    zkittles strain

10. Thanks for such a valuable post. I am waiting for your next post, I have enjoyed a lot reading this post keep it up.
    토토

11. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue. so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It ‘s really very nice and Useful post.Thanks reviews of exipure

12. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing Bolt Tensioner

13. I delight in, cause I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. 한국야동

14. I loved this assignment article and kept updating interesting articles. I will be a regular reader. I am offering help to students over the globe at a low price.. 한국야동닷컴

15. Luxury Slingshot Rental is a leading luxury car rental company which allows customers a stress-free car rental experience by providing excellent services. Slingshot is a 2-seat, 3-wheel wonder. It’s classified as a motorcycle-auto cycle, but it’s not, we simply call it street legal 3-wheel Kart. It’s a 4-cylinder. It casts a unique design that promises a deluxe experience at prices that won’t break the bank.

16. You have a great sense of writing I must say. Your post has those facts which are not accessible from anywhere else. It’s my humble request to u please keep writing such remarkable articles cbd face mask