Visual Culture in Communist China

observing, analyzing & re-presenting the art of twentieth century china

Quentin’s Annotated Bibliography

| 0 comments

HUNG, CHANG-TAI. Mao’s New World. CORNELL University Press, 2017.

This book mentions the Monument to The People’s Heroes many times. There is a chapter dedicated to the monument. The meaning of the monument is described in great detail and its impact on the new Communist state of China. However the book in its entirety is about how Mao transformed China into its propaganda state. This book will be very helpful for me because it provides me with the before and after of the monument and how it impacted the state as a whole.

Hung, Wu. Remaking Beijing: Tiananmen Square and the Creation of a Political Space. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2005.

This book goes into detail of when Mao refused to build a new capital for China and instead maintain the ancient city. He was responsible for the transformation of socialism in Beijing, China. This book goes into great detail of Tiananmen Square and it’s correlation with socialism. This book will be helpful because I am comparing the entire monument and the bas-reliefs surrounding the People’s Heroes Monument to socialism in China.

Hyer, Eric A., and Dodge Billingsley. “Art & Politics in Mao’s China.” Kennedy Center. https://kennedy.byu.edu/art-politics-in-maos-china/.

This website/article talks about the influence and impact the Chinese government had on art. It also talks about whether art can be maintained when you have a socialist government. Although this doesn’t directly mention the People’s Heroes Monument, this will be helpful for my exhibition because I am looking to compare the People’s Heroes Monument to socialism and in what ways it follows the ideologies of socialism.

Hung, Chang-Tai. “Research Report. Revolutionary History in Stone: The Making of a Chinese National Monument.” The China Quarterly 166 (2001)

This journal talks directly about the monument and the political symbol of Tiananmen Square. It talks about the influence and impact of creating such monuments and the power associated with architecture. This journal will be helpful because it will help me see the power involved in such structures and it’s involvement to socialism.