Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site
Managed by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the era that made New York the Empire State. Visitors to the site may learn more about the history of the Erie Canal through guided and self-guided tours and exhibits at the Museum/Visitors Center. The Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site is the only place where the three phases of the Erie Canal can be seen in one location. It includes many notable structures including the Guard Lock from the original 1825 Erie Canal, the Empire, Yankee Hill and Putnam Locks from the expanded 1835 canal, the Schoharie Aqueduct, Lower Castle Mohawk Village, and 18th century Forth Hunter. Three miles of the 1919 current Erie Canal adjoin the park grounds and Lock 12 with the attached movable bridge dam. The site also offers opportunities for biking, hiking, and cross-country skiing along with a boat launch for paddle and motor boats that is located at the junction of the Schoharie and Mohawk Rivers. Visitors may also shop at the Putnam Canal Store.
Photographs by Halldor Sigurdsson used with permission of
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.