- Department of Economics, Union College, Schenectady, NY, Professor (2014 – present), Associate Professor (2007- 2014), Assistant Professor (2002-2007)
- Department of Economics, Williams College, Williamstown, MA, Assistant Professor (2000-2002)
- Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan, Albany, NY, Visiting Data Scientist (2018-2019)
- Ph.D. Economics, University of Maryland at College Park, 2000
- M.A. Economics, Central European University, Prague, Czech Republic, 1995
- B.A. Economics, Prague School of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic, 1994
- Efficient Empiricism: Streamlining Teaching, Research and Learning in Empirical Courses, with Simon Halliday, Michael O’Hara and Aaron Swoboda, 2019, Journal of Economic Education 50(3), 242-257.
- Do the Timeliness, Regularity, and Intensity of Online Work Habits Predict Academic Performance?, with Miaoqing Jia (Union ’16), 2016, Journal of Learning Analytics 3(3), 318-330.
- Do 401k Advisors Take Their Own Advice?, 2014, Journal of Pension Economics and Finance 14 (1), 55-75.
- Do Mutual Fund Companies Eat Their Own Cooking?, with Jigme Norbu (Union ’13),2013, Journal of Retirement,1(2), 91-100. (pre-pub version)
- Timing of Retirement Plan Contributions and Investment Returns: The Case of Defined Benefit versus Defined Contribution, 2012, The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 12: Iss. 1 (Contributions), Article 23. Data for the paper is here.
- Are Women More Generous than Men: Evidence from Alumni Donations, with Shayna Toubman (Union ’09), forthcoming in Eastern Economic Journal.
- Financial Literacy and the Design of Retirement Plans with Henry Hanley (Union ’09), 2010, Journal of Socio-Economics, 39(6), 645-652. More information about the project is here.
- The Decomposition of the U.S. External Returns Differential with Stephanie Curcuru and Frank Warnock, 2010, Journal of International Economics 80(1), 22-32. Data for the paper are here.
- Cross-Border Returns Differentials with Stephanie Curcuru and Frank Warnock, 2008, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 123 (4), 1495-1530. Data for the paper are here. See coverage in NBER Digest here. Dow Jones Newswire coverage here.
- Are the New and Old EU Countries Financially Integrated?, 2007, Journal of European Integration 29(2), 163-187.
- Annotated Sample Paper in Econometrics, 2007, Journal of Economic Education 38(1), 124.
- European Union Enlargement and Equity Markets in Candidate Countries with Richard Podpiera, 2006, Emerging Markets Review 7 (2), 129-146. Also circulates as IMF Working Paper 05/182 and ECB Working Paper 552. Also, see the coverage in Economist Intelligence Unit’s newsletterBusiness Europe on page 7.
- Do Domestic Investors Have an Information Advantage? Evidence from Indonesia, 2005, Journal of Finance 60(2), 817-839..
- Gross Capital Flows and Asymmetric Information, 2003, Journal of International Money and Finance 22(6), 835-864.
- Teaching Programming in Econometrics – Paper supported by Project TIER and presented at 2016 AEA CTREE.
- What Economists Can Tell Us About Retirement-Plan Design, Chronicle of Higher Education, November 13, 2016. (version with all links and references is here.)
- Does the Euro Lead to Investment? Industry Evidence September 2006, published in Financial Development, Integration and Stability: Evidence from Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe edited by Klaus Liebscher, Josef Christl, Peter Mooslechner and Doris Ritzberger-Grunwald, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Are Capital Inflows in the Czech Republic Inflationary?, 1997, Eastern European Economics 35(3), 35-65.
- Consumer Finance, International Finance/Open Economy Macroeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Introduction to Econometrics, Comparative Economics
- Meetings of the American Economic Association, San Diego 2013, presenter and session organizer.
- Annual Meeting of the Society of Actuaries, Washington, D.C. October 2012, invited presenter.
- European Central Bank Conference on Capital Markets and Financial Integration in Europe, Vienna, Austria, November 2005, invited presenter.
- Bank of Canada and Sauder School of Business Workshop in International Financial Markets, Vancouver, Canada, August 2005, invited presenter.
- Annual meeting of the American Economic Association, 2003, Washington D.C., presenter and session chair.
- NBER Summer Institute, 2002, Cambridge, MA, discussant.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Stillman Prize for Outstanding Teaching -finalist, 2006.
- Lamfalussy Fellowship -recipient of one of five €10,000 fellowships granted by the European Central Bank, 2004.
- Referee for the Journal of Finance, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Financial Research, Journal of Futures Markets, Journal of International Money and Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Economic Surveys, Journal of Economic Education, Journal of Applied Gerontology.
- Blogger at http://collegeretirement.blogspot.com/
- Retirement Plan Committee – 2008-present
- Benefits Committee – 2010-present