Frankenstein

With dull yellow eyes, pearly white teeth, black lips, and a shriveled complexion, the fiend in Frankenstein was a horror to the human eye. Not only did he cause fear in those who faced him, but also in his creator, Victor Frankenstein. As the novel develops, we learn, as well as Frankenstein, that playing the role of God is not a human responsibility. However, because of his eagerness and dream to infuse life into a dead body, Frankenstein works 2 years to accomplish this goal. Then, when the lifeless thing arose from its inanimate state, Frankenstein feels terror. “For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart” (pg. 51).

frankenstein

The novel continues to develop, and we then read from the monsters point of view as he explains the troubles of being a wretched creature, who strikes fear in those he comes in contact with. In this, we see how he goes from quietly observing humans, hiding in the shadows, to murdering Frankenstein’s love, friend, and brother.

As we see the transition of the wretch, he gets angrier as the text progresses. He demands that Frankenstein create another monster to be his companion because he is living a terrible, and lonely life. To strengthen his desire, he tells Frankenstein: “If you consent, neither you nor any other human being shall eve see us again: I will go to the vast wilds of South America. My food is not that of man; I do not destroy the lamb and the kid to glut my appetite; acorns and berries afford me sufficient nourishment” (pg. 130). However, Frankenstein does not create a companion for the monster and in anger, the monster then kills Elizabeth and Clerval. So, my questions to the class: Did the monster deserve a companion to roam the earth with? Does he not deserve the chance to be happy too, like humans? Was his promise to leave man alone worth creating another monster?

9 thoughts on “Frankenstein”

1. As discussed in class, I agree that Victor shouldn’t had created a companion for the creature. The creature does deserve love and support form a companion who is just like him however why would we create something that already is causing problems? Also the creature and his companion could mate and create more monsters. That is why it is sometimes not right to play around with science because Victor created something and had no idea that it would end up being like this. Victor learned his lesson and decided not to create a companion for the creature in order for the greater good of society. Who knows what would have happened. The society could be at risk and it is not worth taking the chance again.

2. I find it extremely peculiar that just like our class discussion, Victor’s lack of responsibility in the creation of “the monster”, is hardly mentioned. It is said that after Victor had accomplished his goal, after he “had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled [his] heart” In class we talked about John Locke’s idea of tabula rasa, the clean slate phenomena. What if when one of us were born our parents looked upon us with breathless horror and utter disgust. I find it hard to believe that we would be the most loving creatures ever. We might even go as far as to “strike fear in those [we] come in contact with”. Idk personally I don’t agree with the monster killing all those people, but I just feel like Victor isn’t held accountable enough. So to answer the question asked, Yes I do feel as though the monster deserves a companion. Is it not enough that he be brought into the world without a guardian, without any direction, but he be forced to live it alone and miserable as well? Nevertheless, I do not fault Victor for not creating another monster. I just feel as though that decision was made in self reflection. As Paul said in class Victor knew he couldn’t take care of one monster so no way he could care for two

3. I also think that the monster deserves a companion. We talked in class much of the “what ifs” however they all seemed to be on topic of destroying mankind. What if the monster and his companion really did leave and live away from human society? What if the monster really did leave Victor alone? I can’t help but wonder why Victor felt no sympathy for the monster. I do not think it was fair of him to act the way he did towards the monster. After being such a … the least he could have done was give the monster the one thing he asked for. I mean life is about being happy and all, and the monster surely would have been happy with a companion. Ya feel me?

4. I think that Victor should have created a mate for his monster. Throughout his entire time of being, the monster longed for knowledge and companionship. He was shunned by society by his appearance, causing him to feel even more alone and making him more depressed. I think that if he had someone who was similar to him, he would be filled with joy and love and he never would have embarked on a path of destruction and murder.

5. I agree with Jessie and just as we discussed in class, the monster never knew any emotions besides loneliness and anger, as he was abandoned and shunned because of his appearance. If Victor had made the monster a companion, then the companion would grow up and learn in an environment of love and care, as she wouldn’t be alone. The monster would then follow up on his promise to leave the humans alone, as he would have everything he wanted and desired.

6. Victor definitely did the right thing for humanity to not create a mate for the creature, but also know that he was in a lose-lose situation… If he created the mate, in his own words, he’d have created a “race of devils”… And we see that in his not creating the mate, it cost him his wife. I still wonder if things would have worked out for him in the end if he created the mate, though. The creature kills a lot of people, and Victor’s never really held responsible for any of it. It may have helped him to do the “wrong” thing and create the mate for the creature. He’d have kept his wife, and the “race of devils” that come from the creature and its mate could possibly commit more murders, but none that Victor would be held accountable for.

7. In my opinion the creature does deserve to be happy, and like people before me have said I don’t think Victor was criticized enough. He ought to have recognized that bringing a living being into the world would bestow responsibility on him, like having a child. I don’t think he saw it in those terms however, it seems to me like he thought the creature would be more like a toy; fine to look at and “play with” but easy to, “put away” when it was no longer entertaining. Therefore I think he owes it to the creature to give him some peace and equality because if you think about it from the creature’s point of view, would you see the justice in being denied a companion due to a lack in forethought on someone else’s part? Probably not.

8. I agree with everyone who said Frankenstein’s monster deserves a companion. The reason the monster takes so many lives is because he has been forced into complete misery. The same fate could happen to a human being; if a person is completely alone and ostracized, he or she will be subjected to absolute unhappiness. This kind of torture easily pushes any creature into committing evil acts just so they can get some kind of revenge, or feel power over those who torture them. The monster deserves a companion because that is the one thing that could turn him away from evil and allow him to feel something good for once. Also, if he promises to leave forever, that will solve the entire problem that Frankenstein has created. Since Frankenstein created the monster, it really is his responsibility to justly deal with the situation, and I think the just thing to do is to create a companion for the monster.

9. I think it’s hard to fully understand the Monsters viewpoint without actually having been in the same situation he faced in the novel. While it definitely doesn’t excuse his murderous actions and malicious crimes, to some extent you can’t help but feel bad that the Monster is driven to those lengths. In my own opinion its not that the Monster is inherently a murderer but that he driven to insanity and a state of rage from the pain, frustration, and loneliness he felt; especially since there is nothing he can do to change his circumstances as that power lied with Dr. Frankenstein.