Teaching Petrology Workshop, 2003
Field trips during a Teaching Petrology conference at Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, USA
This conference was dedicated to examples, discussion, and development of the best methods and rationale for teaching petrology in the field, classroom, and lab. This site contains photos and brief descriptions of field trips to the Stillwater Complex in the northwestern Beartooth Mountains of Montana, various rocks in the southeastern Beartooth Mountains of Montana and Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, and the Gallatin National Forest in Wyoming.
- Stillwater Complex layered intrusion
- Beartooth Mountains highway
- Yellowstone: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
- Yellowstone: Mt. Washburn, Absaroka volcanics
- Yellowstone: Norris Geyser Basin
- Palisades Falls, Hyalite Cayon
I am not particularly familiar with any of these areas, except through reading and these field trips, so bear that in mind.