Blog Post 1

In the midst of China’s turbulent period in the early 1930s, I find myself exploring the various perspectives that are shaping the nation’s destiny. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is gaining momentum as a significant contender in the political landscape, and it is essential to understand why many Chinese are looking towards the CCP as a potential solution to the nation’s myriad problems.

To grasp the appeal of the CCP, we must first consider the time leading up to the present time. The country has been ravaged by internal strife, foreign imperialism, warlordism, and poverty. The Republic of China, established in 1912, was struggling to unify the nation under a central government. Furthermore, the Republic has also struggled with combating against foreign nations gaining more Chinese territory. In this environment of chaos and despair, the appeal of a revolutionary party like the CCP has begun to grow.

One of the primary reasons for the increasing support for the CCP is their commitment to land reform and their resistance against corruption. In rural China, peasants face extreme exploitation and poverty under the traditional landlord system. The peasants are forced to pay interests by the landlords for many years in advance and the peasants are subject to violence if they do not pay. Moreover, regional warlords exercise control over vast territories. These warlords constantly fought among themselves but when they did, the peasants suffered the most. As a person I interviewed said “Lots of people were so scared. They just went and hid all the time. When the warlords got into a fight, people’s lives were completely devastated.” The CCP’s promise to redistribute land, bring an end to the lawlessness, and empower peasants resonated with millions who yearned for a better society. Land reform initiatives by the CCP in regions such as Jiangxi garnered widespread support as peasants saw their lives improve. To think my father could own the land he works on everyday is quite the thought. I look forward to that day. 

Amidst widespread poverty and inequality, the CCP’s ideology of social justice and equality struck a chord with urban workers and some intellectuals. I believe the greatest equality they are fighting for is regarding women. As Mao stated in The Little Red Book in the chapter titled Women, “These four authorities-political, clan, religious and masculine-are the embodiment of the whole feudal-patriarchal ideology and system, and are the four thick ropes binding the Chinese people…” Women are still subject to outdated practices such as foot binding and they had no right to decide who or when they would get married. I interviewed a woman who told me how a landlord came to her house, saw her 15 year old sister and took her to be his wife. The landlord also wanted her to be his maid. She was only 7 years old and in the end her father sold her as a child bride. The interview made me think about both of my older sisters. What would their life be like if they could decide for themselves? The CCP is also educating peasants, helping them to strengthen their minds. I am a living testament for what could happen if peasants had access to education. The peasants believe that the CCP can bring about a society where wealth was more evenly distributed and the masses had access to education.

These are exciting times but these are also dangerous times. Please everyone be careful and take care of themselves. The future has so much in store for the people of China, we must grab ahold of our future.