Yenan: A Change In Lifestyle

Dear readers,

I am proud to say that not only have I grown as a person since my last report, but Chinese people from around the country have begun to grow out of the traditional confucian lifestyle. With pressure increasing from not only the Japanese but the Chinese nationalist party, the Communist party has been gaining popularity for a few different reasons. It is the year 1943 and I have been called to Yenan where I am reporting live to see this movement with my own eyes. Many people ask, why Yenan? What is different about this part of the country? Why not a big city to spread ideologies more easily? It was less about the land they were on and more about the community that blossomed under the leadership of the masses. 

While reporting on this phenomenon, it is integral to look into the Long March. Mao and the red army set on this march to relocate the Communist party without a set destination. It was easy for people to join this movement because many of them did not see a future at their home. Both men and women had been struggling for the basic living necessities such as food and clothes. The movement had emphasized equality for men and women as both genders were encouraged to join the army to help in any way. Even the rich peasants had a reason to join the communist movement because of the way the Guomindang soldiers would treat the locals. It is said that the soldiers would have two guns, a rifle, and an opium pipe and they “tried to take everything they could from our local people.” The Long March wasn’t about the destination, it was about creating a mobile city where people would come together based on what they wanted the future of China to be like. After Mao and the Communist party gained followers on the March, Yenan happened to be the place they settled and turned into the Communist Party Headquarters.

The leaders of the movement, specifically Chairmen Mao, was the reason why it gained so much traction. Mao lived a simple and natural life as if he was a Chinese peasant. In this sense, it allowed for the majority of the population to relate to him. Many leaders during this time are demanding and are straightforward with their orders while Mao emphasized on moderate social reform. He did this by listening to the masses and taking a theory-practice-theory approach which allowed the people to really drive the revolution. This was appealing to people as it would lead to more organization and discipline within the party and its army.

Furthermore, I see even more organization and coming together based on the daily lifestyles here in Yenan. Instead of having a divide between intellectuals and peasants people have started to come together around a change in art and culture. Mao had led with slogans which was easy to rally behind and which everyone could understand. Thought and emotions would be shown in artwork that would really reflect how the party thinks on a day to day basis. This ‘popularization’ brought the party even closer together and the soldiers, peasants and women would all be able to relate to each other. Schools would even be formed such as the Anti-Japanese University and more people would be literate and create an even more powerful social reform. With the reform movement of 1942, leaders would be able to optimize their units and the Chinese citizens would work together for their goal of liberation from the traditional confucian society.

4 thoughts on “Yenan: A Change In Lifestyle

1. I like how you called the communists on Long March a mobile city. You went into depth on the unity Yenan has, which I only touched on. I agree that one of the main reasons for Yenan’s ability to draw so many different individuals is it’s leadership.

2. It is true that many are leaving the Confucian system behind, but many are still stuck in it. This is why, as you said, we see the Communists practicing modern reform in the rural areas around Yan’an; they are still very traditional. Although some policies have become more moderate in Yan’an as opposed to Jiangxi, such as marriage reform, others are still quite radical such as thought reform.

3. It is a very interesting feature that regardless of gender or class, the cultural approach made it easy for the masses to unite based on easily understood slogans. Also I agree with your idea about why Yenan has become the place where communist party made the basis.

4. Very interesting point about people following Mao because of their lack of faith in their future. I wonder, if Japan had never invaded China would Mao have the same following he has now?