The Great Leap Forward

Greetings Tongzhimen,

I apologize that it has been so long since my last post. Living just outside the city, my family survived the recent famines and we have all been able to remain together. Though these are tumultuous times, I have faith that China will quickly return to its former might! I have read more of Chairman Mao’s works since returning from my work team, and this line stands out to me as China prepares to move past these difficulties:

“New things always have to experience difficulties and setbacks as they grow. It is sheer fantasy to imagine that the cause of socialism is all plain sailing and easy success, without difficulties and setbacks or exertion of tremendous efforts” (On the Correct Handling of Contradictions Among the People [1957]).

While our country will certainly be led back to prosperity by Chairman Mao and the Party, there have been some significant problems over the past few years. “The Three Hard Years”, 1959-1961, have had grave consequences for China. 

Physically the people have suffered, mainly the peasants in the countryside. Our famines have led to malnutrition and the many issues that present with it. As early as 1958, famine began and peasants were forced to make tough decisions to stay alive. At a Party meeting I read a report by the “Jinan Municipal Investigation Team on the outbreak of famine and deaths in Gaoguanzhai township” from January 1959. For about five months the township faced severe food shortages and the people were forced to take drastic measures when the emergency food aid was not enough. “From early spring to summer, when food first became scarce, people supplemented their diet with chaff, tree bark, and weeds. Some locals told us they had eaten at least fifty types of food substitutes during this time.” Villagers consumed seeds and unripe vegetables, as well as peanut skins and other food substitutes. 

The health effects of the food shortages were dire. Edema in particular was a massive issue. The Hunan province stated in 1961 that “within forty days after January 1…35,816 people throughout the province died from edema.” a number which only increased as the year went on. The healthcare system has been unable to treat many, which has added to the death toll. In addition, “most women of childbearing age stopped having periods. Mothers had no milk left to breastfeed, and many babies starved to death as a result.” Last year, I read another report concerning a request from the Sichuan Province Welfare Committee “for additional medical relief funds for the year 1961 to treat edema and gynecological problems.” “Between January and April [1961], more than 1.4 million women in the Sichuan province have been found to be suffering from gynecological problems each month including amenorrhea and uterine prolapse.” According to their investigation, they believed that “in the next eight months more than 3 million women will be in need of treatment.” These health conditions were disastrous for women working in the fields or in the collectives, and also caused miscarriages, infertility, premature births, and a range of birth defects. 

In addition to the physical consequences of the past three years, we have witnessed various environmental concerns throughout the country. I read a report earlier this year regarding “the damage to forests in Fujian and four other provinces.” In these provinces, a lot of land was deforested to create new farmland to increase grain production. In Hunan, “unrestrained deforestation to create more agricultural land has not only destroyed trees but also caused soil erosion. This means that after two or three years many newly converted areas of farmland will turn into wasteland again. No one will be able to grow anything.” “On the other hand, [deforestation] has also triggered droughts and floods in the lower reaches of the Yangtze, causing a decrease in grain production in the region.” These forested areas are struggling to keep up with increasing export quotas as their production goes down. I have also heard whisperings of floods in other provinces, but have not seen any documentation regarding these issues. There very well could have been intense rainy seasons in some provinces causing floods and thus a reduction in grain production. 

While the country has been in a state of turmoil over these past few years, we must listen to Chairman Mao and his directives forward. I remember Chairman Mao’s speech a few years ago in 1955, in which he stated:

“The wealth of society is created by the workers, peasants and working intellectuals. If they take their destiny into their own hands, follow a Marxist-Leninist line and take an active attitude on solving problems instead of evading them, there will be no difficulty in the world they cannot overcome” (Introductory note to “The Party Secretary Takes the Lead and All the Party Members Help Run the Co-operatives” [1955]).

We, the Chinese people, have the power to bring our country back to prosperity if we listen to the Chairman and the Party. 

Stay safe,

Miao Kuo shuo

2 thoughts on “The Great Leap Forward

1. Miao Kuo Shuo,

Your analysis of the situation is very interesting to me. I think your focus on the struggles for women in particular is very important. I too trust the Chairman. I believe he will bring us back to full strength. Until next time,

Gao An Zhi

2. Miao Kuo Shuo,

The report that you shared which detailed the immense damage that forests and farmlands in several different counties have incurred is so worrying. The effects of deforestation and soil erosion may be felt in these areas for years and years to come, decreasing production yields and keeping abundance just out of our reach. I agree that we must put our trust in Mao that we will get back on track, but I do hope that he has a longterm plan for reforestation and farmland recovery. I am glad to hear that you and your family have stayed safe during these treacherous times, and I look forward to reading your next dispatch.

Sincerely, Lei Ju