Self-Criticism

Dear Tongzhimen,

I began my reporting career expressing to my readers the reasons the Communist Party could be the answer for bringing China great prosperity and returning the country to its former might. I prided myself on being a productive member of my work team, and now a teacher to the youth of Communist China. 

As I have participated in the Party’s mass campaigns, I have done my part to spread the ideals of the Communist Party throughout China. During land reform however, I am sorry to say that I allowed myself to question the policies of the Party. Through extensive self-reflection and reading my copy of the Quotations from Chairman Mao, I have realized the egregious error of my ways, and how my reporting during that time did not reflect my personal revolutionary values. I reported based on my experience in one village, rather than thinking about the socialist movement in China as a whole.  

I have always admired Chairman Mao and his commitment to equality for women, shown in many of his speeches and writings. The Chairman has fought valiantly for marriage equality, the right for women to work outside of the home, equal pay, and battled to change countless other inequities left from the old ways. As early as 1927 the Chairman, when organizing rural women’s associations, stated that “the opportunity has come for [women] to lift up their heads, and the authority of the husband is getting shakier every day” (LRB 130). He gave Chinese women the opportunity to “lift their heads” and rise up like never before. Chairman Mao has gone above and beyond in keeping his promise towards women, stating in 1955 that “men and women must receive equal pay for equal work in productive activity” (LRB 131). I truly regret expressing my concerns to the Party during the land reform campaign, and I have continued my work to right these wrongs. 

I am grateful to Chairman Mao and the Party for offering us the opportunity for self-criticism, because “conscientious practice of self-criticism is still another hallmark distinguishing our Party from all other political parties” and “as we say, dust will accumulate if a room is not cleaned regularly” (LRB 114). Please Comrades, accept my sincerest apologies and understand that I am dedicated to change, and dedicated to the Party. Long live Chairman Mao!