Self Criticism

Dear Comrades, 

In my old age, I have been able to reflect back on my life not only as a journalist, but as a part of Mao’s revolution. During this crucial time for the people of China, it is important to reflect not only on the parties ideologies but also one’s views on how the revolution has gone up to where we stand in society today. Through my various interviews and sources I’ve been able to gather through the years, I have been able to learn the ins and outs of the CCP and the effects it’s had on society. As a neutral journalist, I have reported on real events happening within the party from the cities, all the way to Yenan and other rural areas. I have gone out of my way to acquire information in any way possible, even joining a commune and carrying out labor to put myself in the shoes of the masses. Though I have seen and reported on some misfortunate events as a result of the party’s policies, I have taken a second look at my own thoughts and words. I am repentful to speak of the dark days of the party, as those days don’t truly define what Mao has implemented in our society. The leadership of Mao that allowed China to escape the traditional confucianism and into the revolution is a great feat that no one else could lead. Before this revolution took place, peasants lived frantically and miserably. Without the work of the CCP, these people would have no opportunities to break the cycle of struggle that their families faced generation after generation. Though we aren’t completely out of struggle “He who is not afraid of death by a thousand cuts dares to unhorse the emperor” (Mao 27) this struggle is necessary to build up our society into socialism and communism. 

As a good Chinese citizen, I keep my Little Red Book in my pocket at all times and refer to it multiple times a day. At the beginning of my career in journalism, I was naive to overlook the words and only take a glance at the words of Chairman Mao. Now, I look for the correlations between the words Mao and those policies he implemented into society. I believe Mao is genius for this because it states his true intentions of what he wants China to be and his clear cut goals should be ingrained in the people of China. Although no policy can be perfect and not everytime will everyone support the goals of the leader, Mao demonstrates his best effort to create an equal and prosperous country in the eyes of the peasants. When leading this party, Mao explained how sacrifice and struggle was necessary to grow. He also suggests that it is a good thing to have disagreements as “if there were no contradictions in the Party and no ideological struggles to resolve them, the Party’s life would come to an end” (Mao, 27). This means it is necessary to have violence going on within the country and though it may not seem ideal, it keeps the country striving to be better. The CCP has proven it can unite a variety of people under the same ideologies which is the most important feature in a society. I may have mixed up my words when speaking of these policies in my earlier journals, but because I believe in Mao’s plan and the CCP I will be able to mend my mistakes.