Go with the Wind?

Wind energy refers to the process of creating electricity using the wind, or air flows that occur naturally in the earth’s atmosphere. Wind turbines are used to capture kinetic energy from the wind and generate electricity.

Wind energy projects have created many economic benefits to the U.S.. The projects have created jobs, created a new source of revenue for farmers and ranchers in the form of land lease payments, and increased local tax base. Wind energy can also lower electricity bills for those who neighbor the wind turbines.

In terms of employment, wind energy projects create new jobs in rural communities in manufacturing, transportation, and project construction. At the end of 2016, the U.S. wind energy industry accounted for 101,000 full-time jobs.

The US Department of Energy projects that we’ll have 404 gigawatts of wind energy capacity across the country by 2050, up from 89 gigawatts today. Because the overall electricity demand is projected to remain consistent, wind energy would soon help provide one-third of the country’s needs.

Currently, the major incentive to invest in wind is the renewable portfolio standard, which mandates a minimum amount of electricity to come from renewable resources. Another incentive is the federal production tax credit, which benefits wind energy installations across the entire country. Overall, wind energy is one of the fastest growing forms of electricity generation in the United States, with the largest share renewable electricity generating capacity in the country.

4 thoughts on “Go with the Wind?

1. Wow, I wrote about wind as a source of energy too!I love how you incorporated a map to help provide an image to show the installed wind power capacity in 2017. I also liked how you worked with multiple sources, that it you have multiple resources to pull from providing addition evidence.

2. Along with being cheap, I did not realize how many economic benefits it has brought Americans, especially job opportunities. The map was a nice visual aid that helped me understand where wind energy was used the most.

3. Interesting post about wind energy, Elly! I think it is interesting how beneficial wind energy can be for the economy, and for the environment. It is unfortunate that wind energy is geographically based, so it cannot be implemented urban areas. Also, I think it is great that our country is incentivizing the renewable portfolio standard to help mandate clean energy across the nation!

4. This is really interesting! I had never realized how strong the economic benefits of wind energy are. 101,000 full time jobs is a ton. The map also provides great insight into where wind farms are across the country and why. It’s also interesting that Texas has the highest wind power capacity.