Correlations of Life on Land; Global Awareness

The goal I decided to analyze is goal number 15, Life on Land. This goal sets out to, “protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.” This goal is essentially promoting a healthy planet for everyone who inhabits it. Because we are all part of this world’s plethora of ecosystems, goal number 15 works to protect that ecosystem through a collaborative effort. At the global level, the world works together to fight these issues. For example, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations works to enhance the productivity and sustainability of land use through the interaction between climate and human activities, and land resources.  They have created a model (below) to show this relationship. This organization works with the UN to fight climate change by implementing the most productive use of land according to biophysical and socio-economic conditions.  They do this to minimize land degradation, and to promote the rehabilitating of that land, and to promote the sustainable use of land uses as a whole.

Sustainable land use and management (human activities) decide the sustainability/resilience or degradation/vulnerability of land resources

Sources:

http://www.fao.org/land-water/land/sustainable-land-management/en/

https://www.globalgoals.org/15-life-on-land

3 thoughts on “Correlations of Life on Land; Global Awareness

1. I liked that you highlighted the Food and Agricultural Organization at the United Nations. Too often, the U.N. gets a bad rap for being unable to effect meaningful and tangible change simply as a result of its structure. Yet the U.N. consists of many lesser known institutions and organizations which can indeed implement positive outcomes, but which receive little to no attention. I think the Food and Agricultural Organization must identify under this unfortunate category.

2. This is really interesting Makenzie! Your example and model really illustrate your point well! I think overall this is a very informative and well written post!

3. I think that you chose a really interesting goal to research, and that Life on Land does not get as much attention as it deserves. I think land use and degradation is also a tricky issues since different nations implement different policies.