Global Awareness

Global awareness is the most important aspect of sustainability as the world is filled with different countries practicing different cultures. The concept of sustainability for the human race as awhile would have to depend on the teachings and understanding that these people have of their environments. Native Americans believed in the idea of being in sync with nature as they understood, they were part of nature as well. The harms to the planet have been continually through the human contribution of our consumption and energy usage. The production of plastic goods have not decreased in high numbers, oil drilling is still a common acutance, and deformation is still a major problem in different parts of the world. From 1980 to 2017, gross domestic product increased 165 percent, vehicle miles traveled increased 110 percent, energy consumption increased 25 percent, and U.S. population grew by 44 percent. The growth of societies can as have negative effects as technologies are often not understood properly and its effects on the planet. The understudying of the damages to the planet through human change comes with time and realization which often may be too long to allow the situation to be reversible.

3 thoughts on “Global Awareness

1. I like how you tied the Native Americans believed in the idea to be intertwined and in sync with nature. That is honestly how we should live to this current day because without nature we wouldn’t have anything. It is incredibly important to take care of our surroundings because without the natural environment we would not survive the harsh conditions. Although growth for society is a good thing we should focus more on positive growth that could benefit more than just human beings and can compliment nature as a whole.

2. Knowledge is the single most important part of the process of improving sustainability on earth. Once we can successfully implement conservation practices and teach these practices on a large scale then progress will come. I also saw that you mentioned plastic production as well as the use of fossil fuels being concerning. I think that the incentive from awareness is not enough to change the production of these “cash cows”. There must be a bigger change to the individuals life in order to get them to change for the positive. Simply put, I think If these products that harm the environment were not profitable they would not be made. Maybe the answer would be a heavy tax or a solution that replaces the harmful product with a non harmful one.

3. I think you bring some really important points to the table about our culture affecting our way of thinking. I think that Native Americans definitely as a culture have more respect for the environment than those who came to America and settled here and those who belong to the culture as a result of that settlement. I think that our history has certainly set a bad precedent for our disrespect of nature, and the current United States culture could use some reevaluation, reflection, and improvement in terms of our sustainability and respect.