Posted on Jan 28, 2000

Residents of Davidson Hall were evacuated Saturday
at about 5 p.m. for what appeared to be a chimney fire.

As it turned out, what looked like smoke coming from a
chimney may have been exhaust from three boilers heating the building on
one of the coldest days of the season.

The evacuation came just three days after campus-wide
fire drills and heightened awareness of dorm fire safety in the wake of a
fatal fire at Seton Hall University.

Campus safety officers responded to the building, and
pulled a fire alarm to evacuate residents, according to Officer Michael
Hilton, campus fire prevention specialist. Schenectady firemen also
responded to check the building's attic.

The building's heating system this week was found in
proper working order, Hilton said, adding that the evacuation was another
good reminder of the most important rule of fire safety: get out.

“The single most important thing is that when an
alarm goes off, people have to get out right away,” he said.
“They can't finish what they're doing on their computer.”