Posted on Oct 28, 2010

Hilary Zelson, Siamese Trees, 2010,
Hilary Zelson, Docked, 2010, watercolor on paper, 16 ¼” x 12 ¼”

Hilary Zelson ’11 recently spent seven weeks as an artist in residence at the Chautauqua School of Art at the historic Chautauqua Institution in western New York, one of 35 select students given a small studio space and the freedom to pursue her creative passion.  

“Immediately drawn to the beautiful landscape, I found myself spending countless hours painting outside,” she said. “I have never been so happily immersed in my work. For me, it resulted in unimaginable exploration.”

The results of her summer of exploration are on display in the Wikoff Student Gallery on the third floor of the Nott Memorial through Nov. 14. On Friday, Nov. 5, 5-6 p.m. she will host an artist’s reception at the gallery.  

Hilary Zelson, Siamese Trees, 2010, watercolor on paper, 22″ x 30″Hilary Zelson, Siamese Trees, 2010, watercolor on paper, 22” x 30”

The work on view reflects her focus on landscapes and abstractions.

“In Chautauqua, like most places, the day was filled with light and the night meant darkness. For this reason, I created my landscape paintings during the day, and my abstract paintings during the night. Working on both styles filled my mind with all kinds of ideas to bounce off of one another,” Zelson said.  

“Although both styles are unique, I hope my flow of ideas and personality runs through all the work.”