The ‘Doids

Oct 23 by

Any mention of the Schenectady locals, otherwise known as ‘Doids, usually elicits a mixed response of fear and distaste.  In my first month here at Union, at least three fights occurred between students and the locals. There was a guy on my floor who came back from a party with blood on his face. Understandably, I wasn’t exactly looking to meet any ‘Doids. Last night however, I ran into a few unintentionally. I went outside to think alone to think. Two local guys passed by while I was practicing the human flag on a road sign. They were actually very nice. They lamented the fact that a few brawls give the entire population of Schenectady a bad name. They just want to have a good time too. I was reminded as they left that you cannot judge people only on stereotypes, especially at college.

Xavier '16

Xavier Capaldi comes from a homestead in Northern Vermont where his family raises sheep, chickens, and rabbits. Xavier was homeschooled his entire life which allowed him to explore his interests fully before arriving at college. He is majoring in physics and minoring in nanotechnology. At Union, Xavier is the financial chair of the Beuth Council. He also plays rugby on the club team. Xavier's other interests include A-life, programming, cooking, gaming, knitting, and rpg's. His favorite books are The Scarlet Pimpernel by the Baroness Emmusca Orczy, Creation by Steve Grand, and 1984 by George Orwell. Xavier is performing research on s-looping in embryonic chick hearts using the Atomic Force Microscope.

Latest posts by Xavier '16 (see all)