The ‘Doids

Oct 23 by

Any mention of the Schenectady locals, otherwise known as ‘Doids, usually elicits a mixed response of fear and distaste.  In my first month here at Union, at least three fights occurred between students and the locals. There was a guy on my floor who came back from a party with blood on his face. Understandably, I wasn’t exactly looking to meet any ‘Doids. Last night however, I ran into a few unintentionally. I went outside to think alone to think. Two local guys passed by while I was practicing the human flag on a road sign. They were actually very nice. They lamented the fact that a few brawls give the entire population of Schenectady a bad name. They just want to have a good time too. I was reminded as they left that you cannot judge people only on stereotypes, especially at college.

Xavier '16

Xavier Capaldi comes from a homestead in Northern Vermont where his family raises sheep, chickens, and rabbits. Xavier was homeschooled his entire life before college. He is majoring in physics and minoring in nanotechnology and math. At Union, Xavier is the social host of the Beuth Council. He is also the captain and president of the rugby team and is a tutor in the Physics Help Center. Xavier has participated in a variety of research projects including: the study of embryonic heart development, analysis of gas released during coffee bean roasting, the development of a vanadium catalyst to neutralize chemical warfare agents on fabric, and study of the crystallization of polyethylene oxide.

Latest posts by Xavier '16 (see all)