Garba

Oct 29 by

The first week of school, I joined a Hinduism club call AUM. I didn’t really get the time to go to every meeting but last Friday night; I went to a Hindu temple in Albany, NY with them.  There was a lot of dancing and a lot of food.  I danced for 2 hours.

I recorded some of the dances. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPWHtzk285k&feature=plcp

After those 2 hours, I started asking questions. I wanted to know why they were celebrating. That’s when my friend told me the name of the event was Garba. Garba is an annual celebration of Durga’s (a goddess) victory of some demon. All the gods wanted to kill the demon but they couldn’t because only a female had the power to kill that demon. So the gods gathered and created Durga. Durga battled the demon for 9 days and won the battle the 10th day.

And if you are wondering why I didn’t ask questions before going there, all I can say is that I was very tired and figured that nothing bad can happen if I am just going to a temple.

Mike '16

My name is Mike Stevenson Presendieu. I am a sophomore. I am originally from Haiti but I have lived in New York city for the past three years. I am a Political Science major, French minor and considering a Jewish studies minor as well. I am a brother of Chi Psi. So far, at Union, I have grew as a student and as a person. I became better student and a better person. I studied abroad in Senegal over the summer and it was a truly eye-opening experience. I am now aware of the world that surrounds me and the people who are part of this world. I am proud a Dutchman. Union'16. Go Greek.

Latest posts by Mike '16 (see all)