Back on the Stick

Jan 8 by

Well, dear readers, I’m back at Union and situated for the Winter term.  On Sunday the 6th, my dad and I drove three hours west from Framingham and arrived in Schenectady around noontime.  I was the first of my roommates to arrive, so unpacking was quick and uncluttered.  My dad and I went to grab a bite to eat at lower Upper, picked up my books at the bookstore, and then he left to get home in time for work at the fire station.  At this point both of my roommates had arrived, as had most of the student populace.  We spent a great deal of time rearranging the room, putting up new posters and moving old ones, as well as swapping stories from over break.  Then things kind of ran down, and we all got pretty tired and went to bed early.  Classes began the next day.

Obligatory photo of the Nott. Had to take one once I got back. How could I not?

Last term, I had a class at 8:00am.  That, I would say, was the most difficult part of my first term at college.  I’m not a morning person,the only time I ever was was when Saturday morning cartoons still existed.  Luckily my earliest class this term is at 9:00am, and it’s Basic Russian 2.  We lost a few people from last term, but we got a bigger room, so I’d say things are looking pretty good for that class, except that most of the people in our class forgot a lot of what we learned last semester.  I’m sure we’ll get back into the swing of it.

Next I’ve got my preceptorial, which is Filling the Void: Finding Meaning in American Life.  We’ll be reading a lot of Walt Whitman, some Jack Kerouac, and a load of short stories.  The course is designed to make us analyze writing as someone would analyze poetry.  Here’s the catch, though: I’m pretty awful at most forms of poetry.  So there’s that.  Most of the class lives in the Jungle though, so I can knock on just about any door down here and ask about the homework.

My last class is The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union, which has about 75 people in it.  I think it’s going to be my most intense class in terms of reading material, but based off of the first class, the lectures are going to be really good.  The class is taught by Professor Stephen Berk, world renowned lecturer and a leader in Holocaust studies.  I’m glad I could take one of his classes, because I hear he is planning on retiring soon.

So far, I’m happy with my schedule and the classes I chose.  I’ve also still got a radio show, now Wednesdays at 7pm, but the transceiver isn’t online so we aren’t broadcasting yet.  I might even have a second radio show and a spot on Union’s television channel, but we’re still just at the talking stage right now.  The winter weather doesn’t bother me none, and I brought plenty of sweaters to see me through it anyway.  This’ll be a challenging semester, I’m sure, but I think I’m ready.

Cam '16

Cam Duval was born and raised in Framingham, Massachusetts, a town close to a half hour from both Worcester and Boston. Cam is a member of the Union College Class of 2016 and is majoring in Anthropology and minoring in the Russian Language. Cam is on WRUC 89.7FM Radio Union College executive board and lives in ARTS Theme House.

Latest posts by Cam '16 (see all)