советский фильм!

Jan 17 by

Last night I attended the Russian and Eastern European club event showing of part one of the 1974 Soviet film The Irony of Fate.  The film is a situational romantic comedy about a man who passes out in Moscow and wakes up in Leningrad but doesn’t realize it because Khruschev-era Soviet cities all looked the same.  The production isn’t anything to wag a stick at, but I enjoyed watching part one.  The protagonist’s slow realization that he is, indeed, in an apartment in Leningrad identical to his apartment in Moscow is played well and from a comedic standpoint.

Probably my favorite thing about it, though, was recognizing a good amount of the Russian vocabulary.  Of course I couldn’t understand everything that they were saying without subtitles, but there were phrases I recognized and putting the Russian vocabulary with English subtitles definitely helped me with the pronunciation of certain words.  I’ll definitely be going back for part two!

Cam '16

Cam Duval was born and raised in Framingham, Massachusetts, a town close to a half hour from both Worcester and Boston. Cam is a member of the Union College Class of 2016 and is majoring in Anthropology and minoring in the Russian Language. Cam is on WRUC 89.7FM Radio Union College executive board and lives in ARTS Theme House.

Latest posts by Cam '16 (see all)