советский фильм!

Jan 17 by

Last night I attended the Russian and Eastern European club event showing of part one of the 1974 Soviet film The Irony of Fate.  The film is a situational romantic comedy about a man who passes out in Moscow and wakes up in Leningrad but doesn’t realize it because Khruschev-era Soviet cities all looked the same.  The production isn’t anything to wag a stick at, but I enjoyed watching part one.  The protagonist’s slow realization that he is, indeed, in an apartment in Leningrad identical to his apartment in Moscow is played well and from a comedic standpoint.

Probably my favorite thing about it, though, was recognizing a good amount of the Russian vocabulary.  Of course I couldn’t understand everything that they were saying without subtitles, but there were phrases I recognized and putting the Russian vocabulary with English subtitles definitely helped me with the pronunciation of certain words.  I’ll definitely be going back for part two!

Cam Duval

Cam Duval was born and raised in Framingham, Massachusetts. He is a member of the Union College Class of 2016 and is double majoring in Anthropology and Russian Studies. Cam is on the WRUC 89.7FM Radio Union College executive board, a member of the Russian and Eastern European Culture Club, and lives in ARTS Theme House.

Latest posts by Cam Duval (see all)