Meanwhile in Haiti

Feb 11 by

I am a Haitian citizen and that is where I grew up so I know all the traditions. This week, they are celebrating Carnival. They celebrate happiness, music, food, and friends. Carnival is not only a Haitian tradition. It’s also celebrated in Brazil and New Orléans. It usually happens the second week of February and goes on for a week. Each day, you dress up as a different person and go out to party. There is music and people dancing everywhere. It is like a longer version of Halloween  I am a huge carnival fan. The last time I was in Haiti during carnival, I dressed up as Spider man. But this year, I am not there so I am enjoying picture of the carnival that posted on Facebook by friends and the Haitian government. However, I am still thinking about celebrating carnival. I am not under a hot sun near a beach but I will find a way to celebrate.

Photos by Haitian government.

Mike '16

My name is Mike Stevenson Presendieu. I am a sophomore. I am originally from Haiti but I have lived in New York city for the past three years. I am a Political Science major, French minor and considering a Jewish studies minor as well. I am a brother of Chi Psi. So far, at Union, I have grew as a student and as a person. I became better student and a better person. I studied abroad in Senegal over the summer and it was a truly eye-opening experience. I am now aware of the world that surrounds me and the people who are part of this world. I am proud a Dutchman. Union'16. Go Greek.

Latest posts by Mike '16 (see all)