One Billion Rising

Feb 14 by

One Billion Rising is a global movement to help raise sexual assault awareness. It encourages women around the globe to get up and dance in public places. They want one billion women to do it because the United Nations estimated that one out of 3 women in the world (or 3 billion) will be beaten or raped in her lifetime. The movement chose V-day of this year to do it. Women’s Union (a club on campus) decided to take part of this global phenomenon. They performed in Reamer, which is the social center of the campus. Originally, it was a flash mob but the campus is so small that the word spread around quickly, even Judith Gardner Ainlay, the president’s wife, came to Reamer to see the “flash mob.”

Mike '16

My name is Mike Stevenson Presendieu. I am a sophomore. I am originally from Haiti but I have lived in New York city for the past three years. I am a Political Science major, French minor and considering a Jewish studies minor as well. I am a brother of Chi Psi. So far, at Union, I have grew as a student and as a person. I became better student and a better person. I studied abroad in Senegal over the summer and it was a truly eye-opening experience. I am now aware of the world that surrounds me and the people who are part of this world. I am proud a Dutchman. Union'16. Go Greek.

Latest posts by Mike '16 (see all)