What’s the Story, Morning Glory?

Feb 21 by

What have I been up to?  Not sleeping.

In true collegiate fashion, I waited until super late to start an essay for my preceptorial class.  A preceptorial is a class intended to strengthen a student’s reading comprehension and analysis as well as to bolster their writing.  Every first year is required to take a preceptorial, but there are different courses to choose from.  This year, a few choices included a class on ghosts and ghost stories, one on classic Greek and Roman stories, and one based in Jack Kerouac and Walt Whitman.  I’m in the Kerouac/Whitman class, and overall, we’re trying to see how different people find meaning in American life.  It’s an interesting course, and about a third of the people who live on my floor are in the same class as I am.  So, when I moved down the hall into the common room on Sunday night to work on this paper, I found I wasn’t alone.

In fact, there were six of us in the common room writing papers for the same class.  A few of us took naps, and when our phone alarms went off, we made sure that the person napping got back up to finish their paper.  I got about 2 hours of sleep that night, and though it wasn’t the best thing I’d ever written (not by a long shot), I finished it.  I was the last one, and I watched as one by one my floormates drifted off to bed.  When it comes to writing, I know I’m slow, but I enjoy doing it.

That was the big sleep-depriver of my week.  Yesterday I had a Russian exam at 9:15am, but I managed to get a good amount of sleep for that and I feel I did well on it.  Other than a wonky sleep schedule, things are going pretty well around here.  I went to an Arts House mixer because I applied to live there next year, and I really liked all the people I met.  Arts House is one of the theme houses that Union offers as housing, and I applied there because of my love of music and because I know someone who lives there currently and they gave it a positive review.

Speaking of music, let me leave you with a little something.  I’ve been listening to the Flaming Lips a lot recently, a band I was really into a few years ago.  They’re pretty progressive and experimental, and they’ve really done a lot in the 30 years they’ve been kicking around in the music industry.  Here’s a track off of 2006′s At War With the Mystics, a personal favorite of mine.  Dosvedanya!

Cam '16

Cam Duval was born and raised in Framingham, Massachusetts, a town close to a half hour from both Worcester and Boston. Cam is a member of the Union College Class of 2016 and is majoring in Anthropology and minoring in the Russian Language. Cam is on WRUC 89.7FM Radio Union College executive board and lives in ARTS Theme House.

Latest posts by Cam '16 (see all)