Study Lairs

Feb 25 by

One of the most important factors of academic success is where and how you study. The ideal location is comfortable and secluded. Your dorm room just doesn’t cut it when the frat overheadis playing music (I live directly beneath Sigma Phi) or your roommate wants to sleep. Here are some of my favorite study lairs on campus:

1. The Math Department Lounge in Bailey Hall
    This room is almost always empty. It has nice chairs and a very nice blackboard. The only disadvantage is that it is locked at the end of the day, so it isn’t available for late night studying.
  2. The Interdisciplinary Programs Lounge in Olin
    This is fairly small room which has a lot of traffic during the day, but at night it is dead.
  3. The Physics Lounge in Science & Engineering
    This room usually has physics majors in it during the day but it is empty at night. It is perfect for focused study. There are no windows to distract you.
  4. The Nott Memorial
    Besides for the occasional art tour this is an excellent study location. I’ve have had problems with the internet however, so it isn’t great for computer work.
  5. The Rooms Upstairs in Reamer
    Many of the rooms upstairs in Reamer are left unlocked and they are usually empty. In addition, you have the advantage of being right over the campus center if you want to go pick something up.
  6. The Language Lab in the Library
    This room always has people in it, but it is very quiet and you can use the computers.

Xavier '16

Xavier Capaldi comes from a homestead in Northern Vermont where his family raises sheep, chickens, and rabbits. Xavier was homeschooled his entire life which allowed him to explore his interests fully before arriving at college. He is majoring in physics and minoring in nanotechnology. At Union, Xavier is the financial chair of the Beuth Council. He also plays rugby on the club team. Xavier's other interests include A-life, programming, cooking, gaming, knitting, and rpg's. His favorite books are The Scarlet Pimpernel by the Baroness Emmusca Orczy, Creation by Steve Grand, and 1984 by George Orwell. Xavier is performing research on s-looping in embryonic chick hearts using the Atomic Force Microscope.

Latest posts by Xavier '16 (see all)