If you missed out on this year’s Thruway Competition at Proctor’s Theater last Friday, I feel really, really bad for you. Not only was it a wonderful night of music and fun, but all the proceeds from the event benefited the Schenectady Land Trust. Joining our own Dutch Pipers, Eliphalets and Garnet Minstrelles, Boston University’s Aural Fixation, Connecticut College’s Co Co Beaux and Bates College’s Crosstones made the journey to Schenectady to compete. As an avid acapella fan, I was beyond excited for the concert, particularly because I have friends in all three Union groups, as well as in Connecticut College’s and Boston University’s.

Image

In the end, Union’s co-ed group, the Eliphalets, received a well-deserved win, with a Mistrelle singer receiving an honor for best solo performance. Some of my favorite songs performed included “Perfect” by the Eliphalets, with a solo by the incomparable Mollie Orr ’15…it’s always one of my favorites that the group does and I was so excited to hear them compete with it! “Feel Again” by the Garnet Minstrelles, with solos by Morgan Muggia ’15 and Anna Gagnon ’14 was also fantastic. I found myself never wanting it to be over. And finally, “Daughters” performed by Co Co Beaux of Conn College, with a solo by Alex Marz ’13, was outstanding. He sounds exactly like John Mayer, and you could tell every girl in the audience was falling in love as he sang.

Congratulations to everyone involved, it was truly a wonderful concert, and I can’t wait for next year!

Enjoy Mollie Orr’s spectacular solo performance that won the competition for the Eliphalets above!