I have had a very unique experience with academic advising during my time here at Union. As a student transferring out of Boston College as a mathematics major, I was initially assigned to the academic head of the mathematics department. The college assigns all transfer students to the department chair of their respective declared major.

The very kind Professor Taylor helped me through the initial registration process. Of course, when I decided to become an economics major, I was then switched over to the chair of the economics department. The smart Professor Song guided me through my first few terms here at Union.

While I was extremely happy with each of the advisors I had had so far, I was inclined to ask Dean McCarty, the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty, to be my advisor. The brilliant woman began her time here at Union as a professor of economics and has since only further spread her wealth of knowledge throughout the college as Dean. So, how did I, a meager transfer student, come to know Dean McCarty? I grew up going to school with her lovely daughter! But whether or not you have obscure Union connections (which you probably do because — let’s face it — everyone does), Union is just like that — a family affair.

With every interaction I have had with professors, it has felt like an advising relationship. Professors at Union genuinely want to see their students succeed and offer guidance and mentorship at every turn.

Without Dean McCarty, I wouldn’t be taking Seminar in Econometrics right now — a course that I thought I was going to hate, but actually love, and which has led me to yet another amazing professor at Union, Professor Schmidt of the economics department. I didn’t want to take the course out of fear that it would be terribly dry, but Dean McCarty promised me that it is only during college that you have the opportunity to learn challenging subjects like this from absolute experts. I knew to cede my own judgment to hers, and I am so glad that I did. I love the class and Professor Schmidt’s enthusiasm is absolutely contagious!

Put simply, my advising experience has been classic Union: friendly, rewarding, and inspiring.