A preview of Senegal

Apr 28 by

Senegal is getting closer. To prepare us for it, prof. Ndiaye decided to take us on a trip to little Senegal in NYC. I live in the city but was not aware that such thing existed. I was curious to see how it looks like.  We had to leave for the city on Saturday morning at 8 o’clock. I hate waking up early on Saturdays. To make things worst, I went to sleep at 4 o’clock that night. I woke up at 7:59 o’clock and ran off to the bus. Luckily, I made it to the bus right when they were about to leave.

When we got to the city, we went to the MET where I learned about African art and how it inspired Picasso to go abstract on us.

Prof. Ndiaye lecturing us.

Did you know that sitting is a sign of power in a lot of African cultures? When you are sitting down, people pay more attention to you and respect you.

So much art

After we left the museum, we walk to 116 street where little Senegal is. We walked around for couples of minutes and then, we went to restaurant( did you see that coming?)! I ordered a dish call Mafe, meat in peanut sauce. You can get it with fish or lamb. I got fish because the waiter told me that it’s the best. I cannot wait to try the lamb when I get to Senegal.

Mafe with fish

Fish, rice and lemon

In the meantime, I have to do a bit more research on Senegal because that trip thought me that I have no idea what to expect.

Mike '16

My name is Mike Stevenson Presendieu. I am a sophomore. I am originally from Haiti but I have lived in New York city for the past three years. I am a Political Science major, French minor and considering a Jewish studies minor as well. I am a brother of Chi Psi. So far, at Union, I have grew as a student and as a person. I became better student and a better person. I studied abroad in Senegal over the summer and it was a truly eye-opening experience. I am now aware of the world that surrounds me and the people who are part of this world. I am proud a Dutchman. Union'16. Go Greek.

Latest posts by Mike '16 (see all)