To read my report on the first 2 days of Humans vs. Zombies at Union College, click here.

The numbers now stand at 208 humans and 128 zombies.  Of the players on my hall in Davidson, only five remain as humans; four in my room, and one at the far end of the hall.  A zombie lives across the hall from my room, two zombies next door, and two a few doors down.  Going to the bathroom is a calculated effort.  From what I have seen in my three classes, there is an average of one human other than myself as well as three or four zombies per class.  The hardest part of each day is getting to class on time while still taking back paths and shaking off whoever in a purple armband might be following.

I awoke yesterday morning to my digital clock flashing 12:00, and immediately panicked.  We had planned to wake up at 7:30 and be on the move by 8:15 at the very latest, but we had lost power.  By some miracle, I woke up the minute the power came back.  I checked my phone to see what time it actually was, thinking we had overslept by some large margin because it was too bright outside to be the early morning.  My phone said 7:15, however, and I reset my alarm clock to go off in 15 minutes so that everyone could wake up.  Once we had gotten everything ready to go, we emerged into the hallway to find the overhead lights flickering and the building very dim in general.  Taking note of this movie-like setting for a zombie apocalypse, we set off around the back end of campus on the same route which we had taken on Monday.  Z-Day.

Of course, I was early to my 9:15am Russian class.  I found my roommate Jared again and he and I waited for Max, a fellow human in my Russian class, to be released from his 8:00am history class.  We escorted him safely to our Russian class, where he and I participated in something that shouldn’t be forgotten during Humans vs. Zombies week: academia.  Between dodging zombies the day before, we had had enough time to bring Max from his dorm to ours where he and I could study for the Russian exam which we faced the morning of Z+2.

I spent the next few hours in Wold, where I was able to purchase a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some coffee to keep me going.  I was comfortably posted up, waiting for my class at 1:50pm to begin in the same building, when I received a call from my friend Mike Rivkin.  Mike lives in ARTS House, behind the Davidson dormitory where I live now (next year I will be a resident of ARTS House!), and needed assistance getting to his class in Reamer.  Reamer, the campus center, has been crawling with zombies since Z+1 (Tuesday).  On Monday I had seen more humans than zombies in the building, but by Wednesday at noontime when Mike called me, Reamer had become a hub for zombie activity.  Mike had no choice, though; he has class in the auditorium in Reamer.  In Wold, I looked up to find Steve Hoeprich sitting across from me.  I had found support for my escort mission.

Steve and I proceeded without any trouble to ARTS house, where we found Mike.  Where Steve and I had equipped ourselves with larger NERF rifles, Mike had with him a shoebox slung around his shoulder by a strap.  This shoebox was full of balled up socks.  To each their own.  Surprisingly, we encountered only one zombie on our way into Reamer, and he seemed to want to get out of our way pretty quickly.  Getting out of Reamer after dropping Mike off was the real trouble.  Steve and I found two other humans watching the exit, and the four of us made our escape.  We passed two humans giving their human ID numbers to zombies so that the zombies could log their kills on the official Humans vs. Zombies website.  I watched two people turn, right there in the courtyard.

I stayed in Wold until my 1:50pm anthropology class.  Only one human other than myself was left, and the three zombies in the class seemed pretty interested in where we were headed after the class ended.  I met with Steve again, and he helped me get to my next class in Visual Arts.  To get there, we backtracked deep into the bowels of the Science and Engineering building and then bolted in the back end of Jackson’s Gardens.  It was raining.  We heard a firefight, ducked under an incline, and then climbed it when the coast was clear.  Steve broke off for West, his dorm, and I was safely in class.  Hector, the human from my anthropology class who is also in my next class, asked how I made it to class.  He had been tagged; the firefight Steve and I had heard was the sound of Hector’s lifeless body being dragged around the Gates of Troy.  I was alone.

Luckily, I made it back into Davidson without encountering a single zombie.  At that point, the mission was about to start, and so we made our way to the flagpole.  Jared, Mike and I gave our lives valiantly defending the ginkgo tree in the Gardens (which was not in any way the objective), and luckily any zombie tags made during missions don’t count outside of missions.  From the mission on, everything went pretty swimmingly.  I was able to do my laundry and take a shower uninterrupted, even though our floor was crawling with zombies earlier in the day.  Though we lost a lot of people yesterday, the die-hards are sitting tight.  Today, Z+3, may be the end.  But I said that two days ago.