languageexpo

Yesterday I attended the Modern Languages Welcome Celebration in our newly remodeled Schaffer Library. While I personally study Russian language here, the event had outstanding tables from all ten of the awesome modern languages Union College offers: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. The event also featured short language lessons from the six Language Assistants that Union is hosting this year from Germany, China, Japan, Russia, France, and Spain. Students indulged in delicious food (a true staple in language study here) from so many international cultures. I even saw students learning Japanese calligraphy! The event was a great introduction to the Modern Languages department at Union, but an even better example of the kind of community that Modern Languages fosters here: close-knit, welcoming, and curious! Studying Russian and participating in the Russian and East European Culture Club are definitely some of my favorite things about my time Union College.