a pretty sight... i think....

a pretty sight… i think….

I want to share with you one of my most secret, semi-irrational fears: I might be an inefficient worker. Sometimes when I’m doing homework on the weekends and hear my neighbors hanging out or watching TV in the middle of the day I wonder, “Do they not have any homework? Am I simply a busier student? Do I just like doing homework more? Or — gasp! — am I bad at doing homework?” I might never know! See, I honestly enjoy doing homework (my mom is a bit of a workaholic too, so I guess it makes sense), but why does it sometimes feel like I don’t have time for anything else? Granted, I’m including club and job responsibilities in this definition of “homework,” but isn’t it odd that while most students’ back-to-school goals include “get better grades” and “watch less TV” mine include “work less” and “watch more TV?” I’m not even joking — one of my goals this term was to commit myself to watching a TV show (Please note: I still have not come any closer to completing this goal as of yet…). College work is interesting in that one wants to complete all of the work (not only because it’s interesting, but because you’re paying for it), but at the same time there must be some “optimal” amount of input effort in order to secure the same grade (speaking economically, at some point additional effort yields diminishing marginal returns). I am very consciously making an effort to have a better “work-life balance” this term, but I think that change might have to begin with my definition of “work;” if I enjoy doing my homework, so be it! Maybe it’s ok if writing a paper is more fun than watching a mediocre TV show… maybe work doesn’t have to be “work.”