interview prep

While I feel pretty confident in my interview skills (see some tips here), they’re kind of like chocolates, in that you can never have too many! Looking forward to my trip on Friday, my mom sent me a link to a very helpful blog post from the Times Union online. I am familiar with a lot of the listed interview questions (or have been asked them in real life!), but here are a few that I found particularly compelling:

13. What changes would you make to your college or university?

24. How do you spend college vacations?

44. What have you done to improve yourself during the last year?

45. What are your pet peeves?

One of the trickiest parts of answering an interview question, including those listed above, is walking that fine line. Not the fine line between truth and honesty (please, always be truthful because people can see right through that!!), but the fine line between supporting what you know and believe and accepting what you don’t know and could be persuaded to believe. It’s important to be respectful of your interviewer, but don’t feed them answers you think that they “want” to hear because often times that’s exactly what they don’t want to hear. At the end of the day, they want to get to know you, and, ultimately, all you know how to be is yourself.