Inspiring the Next Generation of Engineers

Nov 4 by

Chicken EmbryoOver the past weekend, I assisted my professor with a group of high school students who came to Union to visit a real research laboratory. Before we even began to explain our research on chick embryo heart development, my professor took the opportunity to clearly describe the field of engineering. He explained that engineering isn’t about building things; it is a field dedicated to design. Engineers combine knowledge of physics, stress and strain, and material properties to design a variety of systems. Once he laid the foundation, we explained our specific research which is a branch of biomedical engineering. It was inspiring to see the students get excited about our research and about the field of engineering itself. Only a few years ago, I was just like them. Now I’m answering questions as if I am an expert myself.

Xavier '16

Xavier Capaldi comes from a homestead in Northern Vermont where his family raises sheep, chickens, and rabbits. Xavier was homeschooled his entire life which allowed him to explore his interests fully before arriving at college. He is majoring in physics and minoring in nanotechnology. At Union, Xavier is the financial chair of the Beuth Council. He also plays rugby on the club team. Xavier's other interests include A-life, programming, cooking, gaming, knitting, and rpg's. His favorite books are The Scarlet Pimpernel by the Baroness Emmusca Orczy, Creation by Steve Grand, and 1984 by George Orwell. Xavier is performing research on s-looping in embryonic chick hearts using the Atomic Force Microscope.

Latest posts by Xavier '16 (see all)