Put Down that Cookie!

Jan 26 by

Lunch - Round 1

Lunch – Round 1

College is not the easiest place to monitor your diet. While the nutritional information for most foods is available, you have no control over the selection available on any given day. Also, it can be really hard to control yourself when unlimited soft-serve ice cream is available at every meal.

I’ll show you what worked for me. Notice the emphasis on me. I’m not pretending to be an expert or to provide a prescription for someone else. I know that the argument that everyone is a genetically unique, little flower is very popular and I’m not going to contest it. I also know that I am pretty rigid and not everyone is willing to adhere so strictly to such a diet.

First of all, the word diet does not describe something that I follow for a couple of months to lose weight. My diet describes how I eat everyday, without transgressions. There are no cheats, no snacks, and no birthday cake. For me, it’s an all or nothing affair.

My diet consists entirely of the following:

• Meat
  • Rice
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Green vegetables
  • Salad
  • Limited cranberries
  • Limited fruit

I’ve entirely eliminated the following:

• Bread
  • Sugar
  • Dessert of any kind
  • Dairy
  • Beans
  • Sugared beverages including fruit juices and sugared sodas (with the exception of a sports drink after a long rugby practice)
Lunch - Round 2

Lunch – Round 2

Take note that this is how I eat at school. I’m not foregoing chocolate, hummus, and iced tea forever. Personally I’d just rather enjoy them at home where they taste better anyway.

I eat twice everyday around 1:00 and 7:00. Breakfast is just black coffee. Following my restrictions above, I can pretty much eat my fill at every meal and I never have to worry about gaining extra weight. I haven’t gained or lost more than three pounds in over a year. I’m also known for my ability to eat prodigious amounts of food. My most impressive meal consisted of twenty chicken breasts and six cups of mashed potatoes. I regularly consume two full plates of food and a salad at every meal.

I consider myself to have an average athletic build, neither husky nor ripped. However, considering the quality of food available, I keep myself lean and fuel myself for school and my sport by following these simple guidelines. I don’t count carbs or measure my oils. I don’t eat six times a day. I don’t wake up early for breakfast. Most importantly, I never have to get on the scale at the gym.

In conclusion:

Xavier '16

Xavier Capaldi comes from a homestead in Northern Vermont where his family raises sheep, chickens, and rabbits. Xavier was homeschooled his entire life which allowed him to explore his interests fully before arriving at college. He is majoring in physics and minoring in nanotechnology. At Union, Xavier is the financial chair of the Beuth Council. He also plays rugby on the club team. Xavier's other interests include A-life, programming, cooking, gaming, knitting, and rpg's. His favorite books are The Scarlet Pimpernel by the Baroness Emmusca Orczy, Creation by Steve Grand, and 1984 by George Orwell. Xavier is performing research on s-looping in embryonic chick hearts using the Atomic Force Microscope.

Latest posts by Xavier '16 (see all)