I’m sure everyone on campus, students, faculty & visitors, have all seen Union’s ‘logo’ with the ‘motto’ around it, but few know what it means. The logo, featuring Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, is surrounded by a phrase in French. The phrase is “Sous les lois de Minerve, nous devenons tous frères”.  Luckily for me I have studied French for almost nine years so I was able to translate this into English: “Under the laws of Minerva, we all become brothers”.

Minerva

Minerva

While technically now it should be “we all become brothers and sisters“, Union was originally an all-male school when this motto was adopted. Now that I know what it means it makes me think of Union a little differently. One of the main reasons I chose to come to Union was for the strong sense of community I felt amongst the students when I visited, and I still feel this connection every day. This slogan really does reflect how Union’s students bond together on campus.

Union College Logo

The Union College Logo

I have found during my three years at Union that almost every student I come in contact with is completely in love with this school and feels an extreme sense of pride for everything Union has to offer. While I originally noticed this on campus when I visited during high school, being on campus every day has really shown me how the students here understand each other because we are bonded under a common curriculum and common values provided by Union.

Outside Memorial Chapel

Outside Memorial Chapel

I love feeling connected to my peers on campus and hopefully more people will begin to understand the true meaning of this slogan and what Union stands for!