Last week was the showing of the Mountebanks production of Spring Awakening. I went on Friday night and haven’t stopped listening to the soundtrack since.

Lizzy Magas directed a fantastic rendition of the show and it was just magnificent. Unlike in previous years, they did the show in Old Chapel, allowing for more people than the little blackbox in Yulman which seats about 60, if I’m remembering correctly. The cast was just so good. The story revolves around a group of students and teenagers in a structured society, their sexual awakening, and the turns in their lives due to circumstances.

The Mountebanks club holds a special place in my heart. The club is run by students and allows students to completely put a show together on their own.  I participated in Union’s first musical in many years during my freshman year, playing Reporter#2/superintendent in The Drowsy Chaperone. It was one of the best things I’ve done at Union to this day. It was nice to see a lot of the old cast again on the stage, alongside some incredible new faces!

Unfortunately, you aren’t allowed to take photos, but here are some pictures of the original cast, which includes Lea Michele, one of my favorites.

download